PowerDell G5

i have everything but a dremel. i just picked up an old power drill from my father.

Personally I wouldn't paint a G5 Tower, maybe annodize or something, but painting it just seems like a bad idea. Otherwise Sounds like a fun mod. Good luck.

I personally wouldnt try using adhesive tape....... to hold..... anything with heat!
Not saying it wouldnt work, but the consequences could be bad otherwise.
Save up the $75, go to home depot, get the low end dremel, and buy a couple reinforced cutting discs and other accessories for it! :)

Go to Sears and buy a Craftsman rotary tool; they are manufactured for Sears by Dremel. I bought a variable speed one with like a 150piece kit for around $50 a few years ago; a Dremel branded kit like that would probably be $75-$100.

would it be fine if i mounted my motherboard with 3M Super Strong Adhesive Tape?
No.

And I don't see what a Dremel has to do with it. If you have a power dril, you can just drill holes for standoffs in the proper positions and then tap them. You don't need a Dremel to do any of that.

A) Don't use tape. What I did was to break off the existing standoffs, reposition them, and epoxied them back on. I used JB Weld, but clear epoxy would probably work just fine too. I did have to grind down 1 (there are two differing heights as I recall), but since I can't access 1 because of my CPU cooler, I would say you can skip 1 (not at the corner though).

B) I don't know what size motherboard your Dell has. The G5 as you know has 4 PCI slots. If its ATX, you've got 7 slots. Your PCIe graphics slot may fore you to cut through the drive divider plate. That's if you want to keep more of the stock rear look. If you are going to scavange the back of your dell case, thats a bigger mod to use the back of the Dell on the G5. You'll need at the very least a Dremel.

C) The G5 aluminum is already anodized

D) Don't drill through the side of the case. You've got 1/8 or 3/16 of aluminum, and then you have poked through. You'll see that Apple has very shallow drill holes in the aluminum. And they are all flat-bottomed. For example, I only drilled through the bottom of the case for some strapping & for round rod as props for some aluminum plate.

You can see my mod here http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/ww350/Distemperus/
There are a lot of these mods, so you should look through a lot of them, get some ideas & do some planning.

I used a Makita 4350FCT for almost everything, but also angle grinder, drill, hex keys (I can't remember if they were metric), a T-8 torx bit for the star-shaped screws,

thanks a lot distemper! i have made a thread in the worklogs board. my mobo is BTX so i think i will surely have to chop up the back of the G5.

I have picked up an old power drill from my dad, so i can just buy some bits.

Back