Powerconnect 2816: Help a noob out!

Synthetickiller

Limp Gawd
I'm basically a total n00b when it comes to using a managed switch.

I'm trying to get just basic things set up before moving into link aggregation & a few other useful things I need it for.

There are two things that are so simple, I can't seem to find any info on them (including the manual).

1. How do you dedicate a port for a cable modem (Motorola 6141) ( and configure everything to work with it)?

2. How do you share the internet over a router (Asus RT-N66U)?

Sorry if this comes off as a waste of time or something I should know, but I've been searching & I'm just becoming more and more confused. :confused:

1. That doesn't make any sense... What are you trying to do?
2. Nothing, this should be default behavior if you connect the switch to one of the LAN-ports on the Asus.
//Danne

The wan port on the router connects to the cable modem then one of the lan ports on the router connects to the switch then the computers connect to the switch.

1. That doesn't make any sense... What are you trying to do?
2. Nothing, this should be default behavior if you connect the switch to one of the LAN-ports on the Asus.
//Danne

It "looks" like you have to activate ports in the vlan section.

Nothing appears to be plug & plan on a managed switch, but maybe I'm just confusing myself too much?

The wan port on the router connects to the cable modem then one of the lan ports on the router connects to the switch then the computers connect to the switch.

I was hoping to bypass the router. I'm providing internet access to everything connected & the router is adding a lot of latency.

Modem > Switch > router.

I was hoping to bypass the router. I'm providing internet access to everything connected & the router is adding a lot of latency.

Modem > Switch > router.
You can only do that if your isp supplies enough ip addresses for all your devices(they don't, they just supply one ip4 address) and your security goes out the window.

It's working now. :)

Thanks guys. I was hoping the DHCP portion of the switch would work like the router, but apparently not, lol.:eek:

Back