• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PowerColor PCS+ is LOUD!

Kil4Thril

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 21, 2003
Messages
2,974
Just as I stated. The cooler works very well (idle at 41-43, haven't load tested yet). But, the fan in its stock configuration, will turn off until temps hit around 60, then spin up to 100%, decelerate to about 20% (the minimum it will go), then shut off. It goes through this cycle about every 10 minutes. I set up a profile to just run it at the minimum speed (like I said, 20% before it will turn on), and it is still the loudest part of my system.
 
I can't help but find it amusing that so many complained about the whisper quiet stock cooling on the 4870, so much that people went through the trouble of modifying fan profiles to keep it cooler. Then Powercolor releases a modified cooling solution and everyone is complaing that it's too loud.

Bottom line is that the stock air cooling solution is just fine, people need to get over what they "think" is too hot. ATI designed the stock cooler to run quiet and still get the job done.
 
it actually shuts off? umm...

I was looking forward getting that card when it dropped around $250, now i'm thinking to wait.
The cooling does work but maybe the fan speed bios is messed up.
 
it actually shuts off? umm...

I was looking forward getting that card when it dropped around $250, now i'm thinking to wait.
The cooling does work but maybe the fan speed bios is messed up.

It is possible. I even checked to see if Powercolor had some different control software of their own, but, no. Sadly, this thing may get an AC or Thermalright cooler tossed on it if I find no decent cure.
 
Just as I stated. The cooler works very well (idle at 41-43, haven't load tested yet). But, the fan in its stock configuration, will turn off until temps hit around 60, then spin up to 100%, decelerate to about 20% (the minimum it will go), then shut off. It goes through this cycle about every 10 minutes. I set up a profile to just run it at the minimum speed (like I said, 20% before it will turn on), and it is still the loudest part of my system.
Hey, have you tried the Gainward ExpertTool ATI_v4? It works great on my Powercolor Reference HD 4870. I set the speed to 50% and the temps stay around 50C. When I game I set the speed anywhere from 55% to 100% to keep the temp in the 50C range. It is the next best thing to ATITool, IMO.:D
 
Back
Top