Powercolor or Sapphire?

Joined
Feb 18, 2014
Messages
43
So the PowerColor 290x PCS+ is $580 on newegg. I have a 290x Tri-x on back order from Ingram for just over $600.

Should I wait for the Sapphire or order the PowerColor?
 
I've had good luck with PCS cards in the past, but the Tri-X is undoubtedly better. How long's the backorder?
 
Ingram says they are getting more in on April 7th but they have already pushed the date back twice. I order it back in January.
 
Yikes. That's quite a while to wait. One benefit to waiting, however, is that prices could continue to go down and you could end up finding one even cheaper and cancelling your pre-order then? I mean, it's already been 2 months, why not 2 more weeks ;) Seriously, that sucks, though. Sorry man
 
The PCS+ is superior to the Tri-X on some reviews, TPU said it's slightly cooler but slightly louder than the Tri-X in its performance mode.

Haven't found any solid reviews of the heatsink itself or any reviews that cover VRM's. I know the Tri-X is good in that regard.
I'd wait for Sapphire just because I don't know shit about PowerColor. There's nothing wrong with the PCS+ though.
 
They look so close I'd go with the cheaper one now. You can always do an exchange if you change your mind.
 
Also for RMA, I just did an RMA to PowerColor last week and getting the replacement this week. Was quick, painless and easy.
 
PCS use Elpida and Hynix.

Tri X use only Hynix.

PCS is louder, whole 10dB louder. I would get the Tri X.
 
Back
Top