PowerColor HD5770 Video Card Review @ [H]

Sell old GPU to make money, buy new GPU

SCORP, this is good when you sell your GPU for money, but when the "old" GPU goes to another PC in the same household, the "new" GPU really has to be worth it for the "full price".

I disagree.

If you sell your 4870 or 260 for around $100, add $50 or $75, you are in great shape.

I just did that.

I sold my 260-216 for around $128 shipped on 10-21-2009.
I picked up a XFX 5770 for around $165 shipped at Newegg.

I now have a quieter, cooler running card, which has DVI, HDMI and Display Port connectors, supports multiple displays / eyefinity, and DX11, and is just about as fast as my 260-216 on very immature drivers and older games.

In 6 months or a year I should be even happier.

How can you go wrong with that?

Can always add another one later too, for low-power-consumption CF.

Cool review, no surprises and nice power envelope. What I find interesting is the fact I can get 2 of these and CF for approx. the same price I paid for my GF260/216 when it first came out. I'm already running 2 x 24" LCDs so eyefinity looks very alluring for the price if it's got proper driver support in CF. Anybody in the Forums tried it?:cool:

I disagree. If you sell your 4870 or 260 for around $100, add $50 or $75, you are in great shape. I just did that. I now have a quieter, cooler running card, which has DVI, HDMI and Display Port connectors, supports multiple displays / eyefinity, and DX11, and is just about as fast as my 260-216 on very immature drivers and older games. In 6 months or a year I should be even happier. How can you go wrong with that?

I'd call $75 plus the hassle of selling all to get a slower card "going wrong". But it looks like it was worth it for you, and I'm glad it worked out for you.

I'd call $75 plus the hassle of selling all to get a slower card "going wrong". But it looks like it was worth it for you, and I'm glad it worked out for you.

If performance and price are the same, then the *only* justification for the upgrade would be major savings on the electric bill. (That remains true whether the issue is same-brand or different-brand cards; therefore it applies no matter which last-gen the HD5770 is compared to.). While it would not be a sensible upgrade from the HD4870 (the HD5850 *would*; however, that card is suffering from low availability *and* high prices), it would be a nice option from an HD4670 or less *is* you have the PSU to drive it.

I have 2 Gtx 260's that I purchaced for around $200 canadian each.
One in my wifes computer, and the other in mine.

They both run 720 core, 1450 shader and 1200 memory.
When I need to upgrade , one PC gets both gtx 260's, and the other may get the new HD 5xxx series.
Most people who buy video cards on a budget have no interest in eyefinity because we can't afford the money to buy 3 monitors.

1.I think my overclocked gtx 260's spank any 5770, and nvidias sli is better than crossfireX.
2. By the time their is a game out that takes advantage of DX11 (that I want to play) Nvidia will have a newer better card.

everyone is so hard on nvidia lately, but they held the top performing cards for the last year and a half so lets all give them a fair chance at introducing their next gen parts albiet al little bit later.

Nvidia all the way!

Nvidia and the word 'new' used in the same sentence isnt something I've seen in a long time.

well, I have an 8800 Ultra still. My PSU and Mobo died under warranty, so had to buy new ones. when I get functional ones back from the RMA process I'll be building a second PC. Question is, should I buy the 5770 for my gaming rig, and move the 8800ultra to the second machine? or pull the old 6800gt or whatever it is outta my old p4 machine LOL

Back