PowerColor AX7950 single fan $200 Ar

Runs hot and loud, but great deal. Make sure you have good airflow and use headphones. If I didn't already have a Powercolor myst with aftermarket cooling, I'd pick this up.

wow, the msi 7950 (which is not a great card, but it is a 7950) is down to $179 after rebate

that is very very cheap for that card

holy cow! that is way too cheap!
dammit... I already have so many 7950s!

I can't justify spending moar!

I'd HIGHLY recommend the MSI TF3 model for $260 - $20 rebate.
But that just means new models are imminent.

newegg sent me a $15 off any purchase of $100 or more.. so it gets that MSI 7950 down to $164.99

tempting to spend a little more on a slightly better one, it's going to go on water anyway, so i'm not terribly worried about a shitty fan

decisions.... decisions.....

newegg sent me a $15 off any purchase of $100 or more.. so it gets that MSI 7950 down to $164.99

tempting to spend a little more on a slightly better one, it's going to go on water anyway, so i'm not terribly worried about a shitty fan

decisions.... decisions.....

just keep in mind the MSI warranty is void if you remove the heatsink. There's a little sticker on one of the screws so it'd be obvious if you took it off.

Which gpu brand allows you to remove the HSF and still honors the warranty? I know at least one of the AMD vendors will. Was it Gigabyte? or XFX?

Noisewise, no. Performance wise yes*.

*If you run it underclocked to keep temps/noise down, while you run the Tahiti overclocked, there's not that much difference. If you want a boost, buy the 7950 and crossfire it with your Tahiti.

Yeah while my sapphire boost with dual fans is as good a gpu as I have ever had, I would not recommend getting this card if you intend to use the stock cooler.

Cool, good to know. I don't mind the noise, I wear headphones when gaming anyway.

Is the MSI 7950 really that bad? I have a friend on a strict budget and he's looking for an upgrade from a 6570 (ya, I know), he mostly plays WoW, but I figured with 200 dollars being his spending limit, a $180 7950 would be hard to advise against, considering the closest would be a $170 nvidia 660

I have a reference cooler on a 7970 I bought last January and while it can get loud at full load, I wouldn't consider it intolerable. His case is setup with good air flow too, it has a 120mm fan blowing right on the card with fresh air.

Is the MSI 7950 really that bad? I have a friend on a strict budget and he's looking for an upgrade from a 6570 (ya, I know), he mostly plays WoW, but I figured with 200 dollars being his spending limit, a $180 7950 would be hard to advise against, considering the closest would be a $170 nvidia 660

Oh it is a very good deal. Just loud. It will certainly run the hell out of WoW.

Back