• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Powercolor 7950 (2DHV5E)

I think I'll just pick this up, will likely make a last minute decision since I pass by the store tomorrow. I actually wanted to upgrade much earlier (last year even) but I ended up forgetting about it and letting it drag.

The other options all have their own issues. This seems like the best value at the moment for $210.

Was also looking at the Windforce 3 7950 for $15 more but those are apparently voltage locked for sure now at this point. Price is also back up to $245, which is the starting cost of all the other 7950s except XFX ones ($205 for single fan cooler, not worth the $5 savings. $230 for a Double fan one).

The other option was to move up to a 7970, a Powercolor at $270 (was $260) and the Windforce 7970 at $270. Although if I'm going here might just consider waiting for a 280x. But I'm not sure if a 7970 is really worth the extra cost once both are OCed. Also I'm planning on upgrading again once 20nm cards come out.

270x doesn't seem worth waiting for at this point and signs point to it being a downgrade (slower and less VRAM?) for basically the same price (MSRP $199).

7870 was another choice but a lower tier game bundle with dual fan versions starting at $180 seems like a poorer value actually. Also with the process delays might be underpowered now at this point to stretch that long.

On the Nvidia side GTX 760s have not fallen under $250 for here and are currently sitting at $260-$270 for the cheapest ones. No GTX 670 sales around here. Not considering sub 256bit bus Nvidia cards.

As for going higher in terms something like waiting for the 290x or GTX 780 neither to me is really interesting (from a performance stand point or a technology stand point) to warrant spending that much.

Powercolor is a decent brand.

Last AMD card actually was a Powercolor.

The PCB/Cooler looks the same as the PCS+ AX7950 3GBD5-2DHPP to me...

It is shorter. I'm not sure if the coolers would be exact same underneath the shroud because of that.
 
A follow up on this since I ended up buying the card since after consideration the other options weren't as appealing as well as the the more concrete news about the 270x and 280x.

It is shorter then other 7950s, the measurements on the website are accurate.

The heatsink as I far as I can tell likely is the same as the PCS one just without the nickel plating and a different shroud.

The memory is Elpida rated for 6ghz (not Hynix, the source I looked at about memory never mentioned the brand I just assumed it was Hynix for some reason). The memory does clock to 6ghz without performance regress due to error correction. Didn't test any higher.

Voltage is unlocked (stock voltage is 1.25v when boosting). I was curious if it would clock to the same as 7970 ghz edition and does hit 1050/1500 (tested using BF3 and Unigine Valley) at 1.125v. As for why 1.125v, it was the default voltage in Afterburner. Haven't really played around to actually find what the limits are.

Might just run it at 1050/1500 (or maybe lower) and try to get the voltage down as low as possible.
 
Back
Top