Powercolor 5700 xt Liquid devil PSA

This is not brand new news but it just happened to me so I thought I would post a warning. Using adrenalin drivers past 19-12-1 can cause the core clock of the card to get locked at 300 mhz. There is a temporary bios fix in the Devil club member forums under the news section. I am not willing to risk bricking the card, the bios flash is complex, so I rolled back drivers until I got some that worked. Not ideal but waiting on a fix from amd.

Last edited:
Any word from PC or AMD on when a fix will be released? Crap that an official Catalyst update locks clocks so low.

On a related note, that card is absolutely bananas (in a good way) -- it comes with a dye kit!? Powercolor's Devil series has always been a favorite of mine.

Unfortunately, no word on a fix, besides the bios flash that powercolor calls a "temporary workaround." That doesnt make me eager to try it:unsure:

I wanted to add a couple of things here. I cannot claim that the issues I have had are indicative of all Radeon graphics cards, this is just my experience and maybe it will help others.

I originally had a reference 5700xt with an ek waterblock that I installed. This was in october and everything worked just fine for the few days I had it running. I was getting hotter than normal temps with the cpu so I thought I had a bad cpu mount and took the loop apart. During this time the Liquid Devil was released and I just could not resist that beautiful block, so I made the purchase. Had some issues with the build not related to hardware so it was some time before I got it reassembled. This is where my issues begin.

I vertically mounted the block, used DDU in safe mode to clean drivers and did a fresh install of the newest adrenaline software/drivers. I got immediate black screens on startup. I thought it could be background apps like steam and epic so I disabled them on startup. Seemed to do the trick so I fired up Outer Worlds and found my clocks locked at 300 mhz and also almost instant game crashes to desktop then quickly followed by black screen. I then did a fresh install of windows installed drivers and again same results. I remembered that I had read some people needing to set PCIE to 3rd gen in bios due to the riser cables not handling the signal. I had paid a premium for riser cables that advertised 4th gen readiness so I hadnt thought that would be a problem. Luckily my bios had that option so I did that and that cured the constant crashing, or so I thought. Launched OW and I was still locked at 300mhz, and I got a crash after a few minutes. I ran AIDA64 stress test and got a hardware failure on the memory test. My memory was stable and stress tested before the AMD 20 drivers. I am not overclocking anything just had vanilla xmp profiles enabled to get advertised speeds. Went into bios disabled xmp profiles and saved. The pc locked up and I could not get a post. Luckily, again, my mobo came with a clear cmos button so I did not have to take the loop apart to access the battery. Clear cmos did the trick, I set fan curve, set pcie to 3rd gen, left memory alone and booted into windows. No crashing, ran Deus Ex and OW and still locked at 300 mhz. I now began the process of running DDU and walking back drivers, which was really annoying, until I found a release that didnt gimp my card. That was 19-12-1. So everything apears to be working fine now, accept for my underclocked ram, but obviously this was not an ideal or great experience. I am actually really disappointed that I cannot use the new adrenaline software because I liked the included ingame overlay and like the idea of a unified suite where I dont need msi afterburner. I want to stress that I cannot say that the new drivers had a hand in my ram suddenly becoming unstable under xmp, but it did happen right after so I had to include it. I also wrote this in hopes that some that are having issues due to riser cables, and don't know it, will now know to set pciex16 to 3rd gen instead of auto in bios. I really hope that AMD fixes the 300mhz bug soon, I do like the software.

Back