powercolor 4870 1 gb ddr5 ( zerotherm cooler )

I doubt there will be much of an improvement in games with 1gb over 512mb, the reviews in time will tell, makes me wonder if 2gb on the upcoming 4870x2 is just a gimmick (overkill with 2gb instead of 1), not that it won't be a fantastic card, and just like everyone else I can't wait for it to come out.

Just too bad that the memory limitations of 32 bit OS will just be another implication for everyone to have to move to 64 bit to truly utilize all their memory.

I dont think ur 32bit OS has nothing to do with GPU memory....

I dont think ur 32bit OS has nothing to do with GPU memory....

Unfortunately with 32 bit OS, you have 4 GB total addressable memory and that includes all of your memory in your system, your System RAM, plus Video Memory.

So if your running say 3GB's & have a 512MB vid card, the total memory is sitting at 3.5GB's, where as if your running 4GB's, the total amount of addressable RAM is 4GB, so you'd have 3.5GB max of system RAM, as you'll need 512MB more space for your vid card... (so in effect only 512MB of your 4GB is wasted).

Just google it, there are 1000's of articles on this issue.

I doubt there will be much of an improvement in games with 1gb over 512mb, the reviews in time will tell, makes me wonder if 2gb on the upcoming 4870x2 is just a gimmick (overkill with 2gb instead of 1), not that it won't be a fantastic card, and just like everyone else I can't wait for it to come out.

Just too bad that the memory limitations of 32 bit OS will just be another implication for everyone to have to move to 64 bit to truly utilize all their memory.

I dont think it'll give much more performance in current games.

However I was burnt by the 8800GTS 320mb when people said getting the 640mb version wouldn't improve performance unless you played at super high resolution, and by then the card is running so slow that its unplayable anyway. Then soon after I got the card games started coming out which were bottlenecked by the 320mb, whilst the 640mb still ran smoothly and stable.

Because of that I'd rather get the 1gb version now than get a 512mb version and a few months down the track be kicking myself because games started requiring more video ram than the 4870 has.

I dont think it'll give much more performance in current games.

However I was burnt by the 8800GTS 320mb when people said getting the 640mb version wouldn't improve performance unless you played at super high resolution, and by then the card is running so slow that its unplayable anyway. Then soon after I got the card games started coming out which were bottlenecked by the 320mb, whilst the 640mb still ran smoothly and stable.

Because of that I'd rather get the 1gb version now than get a 512mb version and a few months down the track be kicking myself because games started requiring more video ram than the 4870 has.

I agree with that 100%, hopefully there will be future games that take advantage of the power house these newer video cards are becoming, it's kind of scary to think that your new E8400 is the bottle neck in your system now lol...But regardless of the speculation of newer games, to fully utilize the size and power of these video cards coupled with say 4 GB of system ram, one would really need to move to a 64 bit OS, unless you want to move to a 2003 server edition of XP heh...

Every time I upgrade my video card, I double the video ram. Went from a 128MB to a 256 (X800 pro), then 7950GT (512). Then I broke the cycle by getting an 8800GT =(

Next time...1GB!

Back