Powercolor 256bit 9800se softmoded artifact problems

Goride

Limp Gawd
As in the title i have a 9800se powercolor 256bit. I tried the softmod drivers from http://softmod.ocfaq.com/download.php . These ones: Catalyst 4.3 v6.14.10.6430 .

I just downloaded the omega drivers and ill test those out.

Im having artifact problems. They only show up in certain games and certain things make them worse.

For example in the unreal tournament 2004 demo, its really bad in the menu screens, but once i start playing its not too terible (but when i zoom in the with laser cannon it is noticeable)

I just tried 3dmark03 and got a score of 5128 (my mobile athlon 2400+ is only at 1.6ghz right now, i belive ill get higher when i OC it)

In the Wings of Fury and the Mother Nature scenes i get no artifacts. But in the Troll lair and battle of proxycon i get them pretty bad.

Is there anything that I could try doing to minimize or eliminate the artifacts? Also, I just softmoded I didnt flash my bios to 9800pro nor have i overclocked it yet.

I tried the omega drivers (4.2) the artifacts seem to be lessened, but i also seem to get lower framerates as well...

I haven't tested the 9800pro bios yet, but i imagine they wouldnt really help.

My first step would be to scramble and reverse what I did. Obviously the drivers you installed isn't what the card needed.

EDIT: removed first sentence.

EDIT#2: And we're talking about Catalyst 4.3's here.. which came out like yesterday or the day before. I'm pretty sure there are bugs in the modifications they've made to the Cat 4.3 official.

well the link that i posted are the ones by wizard i think... he said the bugs were worked out.

But even if not, i tried the 4.2 catalyst softmodded drivers from omegacornor, while the artifacts seemed slightly less, they were still present.

I have heard of people messing with resolution, detail, clock speeds, etc to minimize or get rid of artifacts altogether. ANd was wondering what i should be doing to get rid of them. I know not all of them are going to be possible.

Also its supposed to be 256-bit. And the way I understand it, the ONLY possible way for it to be 256 is to have 8 pipelines because with 4 the max is supposed to be 128.

The memory path is 256-bit regardless of the pipeline status. If the memory chips are in the L configuration physically around the GPU, it's 256-bit. If they're all in a row above the GPU, they're 128-bit and cannot be unlocked. With a 256-bit 9800se, it is possible to unlock the pipelines with a BIOS flash. Whereas with a 128-bit 9800se, the pipes can only be unlocked through the softmod.

If you're having checkboard artifacts, it appears that one or more of your pipes were defective at the plant and I don't think this can be avoided. I've heard that disabling one of the hidden surface removal features (Z-mask?) aids the checkerboard artifacts, but the performance loss almost negates the point of unlocking the pipes. HTH

Back