• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Power wireing on case fans?

pbXassassinX1524

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 24, 2003
Messages
1,295
I have 3 fans in my case and they're all runnig off the same fan power connector coming from the power supply. Are they running slower because of the split voltage or does the power supply just compensate? It's an Antec true power 430 watt. My case isnt running hot or anything, I just want it as cool as possible. My idle(well I've got multiple things open but I'm not like playing a game or anything) temp right now is 30C for the processor and mobo.
 
No, the voltage rails should be staying the same, the power supply with just supply more current to that rail to power all of the fans. Meaning that they should all be spinning at the speeds they are rated at. :)
 
Originally posted by TheMostWantedPolishTwin
how exactly did you connect them? in parrarel or serial?


Oh, thats true. I didn't really think of that. Make sure they are wired in parallel, so that you aren't splitting the voltage between all of them. Then you should be ok.
 
well, i would assume parallel? I'm not really sure. Each fan has this thing that extends out to another 4 pin power connector thats attached to its connector. I just connected the fans off of each other from those things.
 
Wait a sec, are they connected to the fan-only connectors? If so, those voltage lines are controlled on the fly by a temperature sensing circuit that adjusts the voltage (and resultant fan RPM) as thermal demands change. In most situations you'll find that the fans are running a lot slower than at their rated voltage. If this bothers you, simply plug the fans into one of the all-purpose 4-pin power connectors.
 
well then how would the PS know what temperature the case is at? I didn't have to install any probe or anything. Would it be internal?
 
It has internal sensors and supporting circuitry that adjusts the output voltages on the special fan-only voltage lines.
 
Originally posted by pbXassassinX1524
well, i would assume parallel? I'm not really sure. Each fan has this thing that extends out to another 4 pin power connector thats attached to its connector. I just connected the fans off of each other from those things.

Yeah I THINK those should be in parallel. They SHOULD be running at full speed.
 
Back
Top