Power w/ no post -dead mobo?

prne10

Limp Gawd
So I've been without my gaming rig for 3 months now and it sucks. :mad:

Short problem/explanation: I have a dead system and don't want to try and buy new parts if I am not 100% sure that it will fix the problem.

Long problem/story:

At first, I thought the psu was the problem. My computer would shut itself down and then refuse to run back on until I messed with the wires a little bit.

Seems that in fact it turns out to be most likely the Mobo and/or CPU. About 3 months ago, it shut off and refused to come back no matter what. I bought a new power supply thinking my old was shot but unfortunately for me, that didn't help. It won't power up unless I hold the power switch while I turn the PSU on from the back. Even then, I get no post. :(

I was thinking about replacing the motherboard and processor and giving my old system to my dad for x-mas since I will be building a new one from scratch; however, I am not exactly sure what is wrong with the system... It could actually be a number of things.

I did take everything out except the essentials and still got no post so I am almost 100% sure its the mobo or cpu.

I don't want to buy new (or even used) parts if they just end up going to waste.

Any ideas guys?

Back