Power User Friendly Anti-Virus

asyork

2[H]4U
Is there an anti-virus program that is more friendly to power users than Norton or McAffee. I have Norton right now, and I absolutely despise it. It runs background processes and downloads while I am using my computer, and at seemingly random times and days as well. Then it will minimize my game window to tell me what it just finished doing to cause my character to die. I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about.

I just want an antivirus program that will do everything it needs to do, but will be easily customizeable, and not bother me with little things that aren't important, and will hopefully devour fewer resources than Norton. It would be an added bonus if it were freeware as well.

nod32 nothing beats it. tried them all.And if your like me and tweak the hell out of your system and need an antivirus that does not intrude than this is it. used it for years and havent had a problem.

Another vote for NOD32. It's not free, and there is a slight learning curve to customizing it, but it's pretty straight forward. It uses very little system resources.

I again would go with NOD32, I've tryed Avast!, AVG, Norton, Mcafe, Panda, and Kaspersky multipal times, always went back to NOD32. NOTHING beats NOD32.

AVG vote here, because its free.

But it doesn't have the autodetect when a virus first gets on your computer. I usually find a virus on my computer weeks later, but with processguard and regdefend running, im good.

Cheetoz said:
AVG vote here, because its free.

But it doesn't have the autodetect when a virus first gets on your computer. I usually find a virus on my computer weeks later, but with processguard and regdefend running, im good.

I agree, AVG if you don't want to spend anything...but you can't expect it to be anywhere near NOD32 in terms of virus detection. (for instance I tryed it, when back and installed NOD32 again and BOOM! I had 3 viruses that AVG never saw.)

Trendmicro runs pretty light on my system. McCaffe and, Norton are viruses in their own rights.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probable let my current version of Noroton expire since I paid for it already :(, but I'll probably go with Nod32 after that. If Norton continues its trend of ever-increasing intrusion into my computer use, I may just scrap my subscription...

Wow, Nod32 even has its own songs. Oddly enough, that makes me want to use it even more.

so... AVG doesn't do any active-monitoring? Why is it sitting on my taskbar? No wonder it feels like it doesn't take up any-resources. Anyway, had only one virus since I've built this system so I'm not too worried.

Personally, I didn't like NOD32.....

It was so good that it wouldn't let me download my email.

The email scanner would just scan forever on the first email and not allow any of the other emails to d/l.

I'm using AVG free on most of my computers and ClamWIN on a couple of others. Haven't had a problem yet.

If you want to pay for avs then NOD32 is great. If you want free then AVGFree is good.

MrkXCeL said:
so... AVG doesn't do any active-monitoring? Why is it sitting on my taskbar? No wonder it feels like it doesn't take up any-resources. Anyway, had only one virus since I've built this system so I'm not too worried.

It does have on-access scanning. If AVG didn't detect that something was infected on someone's machine, then it means the virus signatures they were using did not include that virus yet. Could be that the signatures didn't exist yet, and it could be that the particular system needed updating; With AVG I would suspect that the system needed updating, becasue they generally have great detection.

I demoed NOD32 and really liked it. The thing of it is I get a free license for Symantec AV (read: NOT norton) through my school, and while I didn't like NOD32 enough to pay for it above and beyond Symantec, if I had to buy one again it would get the NOD...heh...i crack myself up....

enlightenedby42 said:
I demoed NOD32 and really liked it. The thing of it is I get a free license for Symantec AV (read: NOT norton) through my school, and while I didn't like NOD32 enough to pay for it above and beyond Symantec, if I had to buy one again it would get the NOD...heh...i crack myself up....
you crack yourself up?? HA HA HA :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ive been looking for a good Antivirus program and i guess ill have to try out the NOD32 i was going to wait till i got mcafee free at college but i hate how it and norton adds like a minute to my boot time seince now its in the 30sec range.

I love NOD32. Love it so much that I started reselling it about a year back.

I had Norton and hated it.

Have AVG now and like it alot.

After reading this thread I may give NOD32 a try.

Good info guys! :D

Thanatos. said:
Ive been looking for a good Antivirus program and i guess ill have to try out the NOD32 i was going to wait till i got mcafee free at college but i hate how it and norton adds like a minute to my boot time seince now its in the 30sec range.
with NOD32 you don't even feel that there's an AntiVirus running on the system! it barely uses any system resources!

I've cleaned many computers infected while "protected" by nod32, norton, mcafee so no commercials for me, i like AVG, its free, very light footprint, daily updates, so its the right choose and my recommendation.

oldmx

OldMX said:
I've cleaned many computers infected while "protected" by nod32, norton, mcafee so no commercials for me, i like AVG, its free, very light footprint, daily updates, so its the right choose and my recommendation.

you're comparing AVG to NOD32? FFS MAN!:rolleyes: AVG is for cheap people who don't wanna pay for an AntiVirus. It's good enough, does the job, but not very well. NOD32 is a prefessional AntiVirus, lightest system resources best detection and cleaning. so don't sit there comparing them, AVG can be compared to AntiVir Personal not to NOD32 or Kaspersky :rolleyes:

What about Bitdefender? I switched from Norton Systemworks. I like it's clean interface and it's pretty straightforward. It doesn't have some of the options I would like but the suite comes with anti-spam and a firewall as well for what it's worth. I only use the AV. One thing I do miss about Systemworks was the undelete function. I'm just too trigger happy with shift+del and accidently deleted several videos that I had just finished downloading. Anyway, if so many people are in love with NOD32, maybe I should give it a try.

MaXimus666 said:
you're comparing AVG to NOD32? FFS MAN!:rolleyes: AVG is for cheap people who don't wanna pay for an AntiVirus. It's good enough, does the job, but not very well. NOD32 is a prefessional AntiVirus, lightest system resources best detection and cleaning. so don't sit there comparing them, AVG can be compared to AntiVir Personal not to NOD32 or Kaspersky :rolleyes:

Now you're an expert in antivirus software...amazing world :eek:

been using Avast! for about 4 years and haven't had any problems with it. Never minimizes my games or makes my system chug in the middle of a crucial moment of my games. I pretty much scan the p2p as they come in and, I set it up so I tell it when to scan. Works for me.

Back