• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Power Surge destroyed my switch

JustAGuy

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 29, 2004
Messages
81
So I get home three days ago and go to my comp and try to get on the net. Something is wrong, no network activity, FAHMON cant see any other folding systems, and no internet. I go downstairs and look at my switch. No activity lights, just the power light. This is when I remember that there was actually thunder the night before (a rare occurence in Michigan in early march). I then realized that I made the STUPID move not to put my switch under surge protection. It was plugged directly into the wall! I had work units ready to roll out and they had no way to get home!

Long story short - I went and bought me another switch and the work units found there way back to stanford servers. A happy ending for all!

Just a reminder: Dont be like JustAGuy. Use protection when you fold. Invest in surge protection!

:)

- JustAGuy
 
JustAGuy said:
So I get home three days ago and go to my comp and try to get on the net. Something is wrong, no network activity, FAHMON cant see any other folding systems, and no internet. I go downstairs and look at my switch. No activity lights, just the power light. This is when I remember that there was actually thunder the night before (a rare occurence in Michigan in early march). I then realized that I made the STUPID move not to put my switch under surge protection. It was plugged directly into the wall! I had work units ready to roll out and they had no way to get home!

Long story short - I went and bought me another switch and the work units found there way back to stanford servers. A happy ending for all!

Just a reminder: Dont be like JustAGuy. Use protection when you fold. Invest in surge protection!

:)

- JustAGuy


Dude! You should have bought an UPS.....

Too bad though. :(
 
I had this happen almost 2 years ago. I'm not sure what happened but I think the surge propagated through my network. It took out a switch and several NICs. I've since gone wireless. :eek:
 
marty, you have serious issues. of course, the fact that i was going to make a comment along those lines says something about me, now doesn't it? :p and yes, this is just to annoy you. that appears to be the purpose of my existance at this point. that, and homework:(

frank b: just watch out for wireless power surges. those could get you, too:eek:

JustAGuy: you should always use protection.:p

i just realized how funny those smilies are gonna look...
nothing to see here, folks...
 
At least it was just your switch.

Imagine the whole farm.

"damn. that surge sucked... my farm.. um..um.. .bought the farm..;)

Fold [H]ard----or Die [H]ard
 
Go to APC's website and find the Factory refurbished site, you save alot of money and most were units that had no real problems, just swapped out to make customers happy. it's like buy.apc.com/storefront or something like that, it always takes me a bit to find it and then forget to bookmark (stupidity strikes everywhere)

I had e-mailed them about how to service one, and the Tech rep pointed out the site so I could save some money on protecting my farm,

I have purchased over a dozen for my farm and to put on my folks equipment, I started doing that after rebuilding three boxes last year, cheap surge protectors can fry and take equipment with them if a drunk hits the power pole just right :(

UPS protection has saved the farm twice this month, or these drunks didn't know how to correctly hit the pole :D
 
lol @ the drunks.

Poor Drunks. Cant even do that right.


Fold [H]ard----or Die [H]ard
 
they must be too drunk to hit the poll right.... yea thats it
the right way would be to miss the poll entirely and smear themselves on a solid cement wall. Sorry, no mercy for the DUI from me. Call if you need a ride, but don't call for pitty because you were to stupid and got caught.


The [H]orde needs You!
 
NOW THIS HAS GOTTA BE MORE ANNOYING THAN THAT HIDDEN TEXT @$#%
 
racercarl said:
Go to APC's website and find the Factory refurbished site, you save alot of money and most were units that had no real problems, just swapped out to make customers happy. it's like buy.apc.com/storefront or something like that, it always takes me a bit to find it and then forget to bookmark (stupidity strikes everywhere)

I had e-mailed them about how to service one, and the Tech rep pointed out the site so I could save some money on protecting my farm,

I have purchased over a dozen for my farm and to put on my folks equipment, I started doing that after rebuilding three boxes last year, cheap surge protectors can fry and take equipment with them if a drunk hits the power pole just right :(

UPS protection has saved the farm twice this month, or these drunks didn't know how to correctly hit the pole :D

Here is the link to the APC site, if your in the states.
Can you give me the details on the specs I should be looking at on these UPS?
Great find and great advice!


Thanks xENo!!!
 
actually when I am this tired. it makes things easier. :D
Fold [H]ard----or Die [H]ard
 
Marty is the invisable text really getting to you that bad?.... . -.-- / -- .- .-. - -.-- --..-- / .. ... / - .... .. ... / .- -. -.-- / -... . - - . .-. ..--..



The [H]orde needs You!
 
marty9876 said:
NOW THIS HAS GOTTA BE MORE ANNOYING THAN THAT HIDDEN TEXT @$#%

Hey! Now I can read the forum from halfway across the room on my couch! Thanks marty! :D

 
rogue_jedi said:

frank b: just watch out for wireless power surges. those could get you, too:eek:

Like a lightning bolt blasting my antennas? That would definitely be a wireless surge.
 
marty9876 said:
NOW THIS HAS GOTTA BE MORE ANNOYING THAN THAT HIDDEN TEXT @$#%
YES I AGREE LET'S STOP NOW!

On a related note, this is perhaps the most formatting per character I've ever posted, or ever will. Please stop posting the invisible text, it's a pain in the butt to read.
 
Hey it's your counter part causing all the trouble here....

I was going to do a post like yours, but the formating must have taken some time!
 
you do realize that it is just to annoy you, right?

i kill me (and you wish i would, probably)
nothing to see here, folks...
 
marty9876 said:
Hey it's your counter part causing all the trouble here....

I was going to do a post like yours, but the formating must have taken some time!
Yep, that took like 10 minutes to think of colors and type them. That post looked like a paragraph to me.

RJ: Stop it or I'll think of an appropriate punishment.
 
unhappy_mage said:
Yep, that took like 10 minutes to think of colors and type them. That post looked like a paragraph to me.

RJ: Stop it or I'll think of an appropriate punishment.


Noogie?
 
I think changing all b0x3n's folding name to mine...

Much better... and longer lasting then a noogie...

pwned!!
 
The trick is to put lots of ______________ ______________ ___ blank spaces

in your message



And get people to highlight it.




Just to find out ..................... _____________ .. ... _________ there isn't anything there.
 
You have far too much time on your hands my friend...

You should go read the new contest thread ;)

pwned!!
 
Hito Bahadur said:
Snow storm sent me home early today.

We got some of that in Indiana today, nothing much, but certainly enough to be a pain. I am sick of my cars all looking white, I hate road salt! :mad:

 
p[H]ant0m said:
We got some of that in Indiana today, nothing much, but certainly enough to be a pain. I am sick of my cars all looking white, I hate road salt! :mad:



I've probably only put 10 miles on my favorite car this winter because of the weather being so nasty.
 
Hito Bahadur said:
I've probably only put 10 miles on my favorite car this winter because of the weather being so nasty.

I hear that, we picked up my wife's new car last night and had just about a half inch of snow. We bought it about 45 mins from home, so I had to follow her while she was being paranoid doing all of like 45 mph.

On an on-topic bit, her car has a power outlet with surge protection. ;)

 
p[H]ant0m said:
We got some of that in Indiana today, nothing much, but certainly enough to be a pain. I am sick of my cars all looking white, I hate road salt! :mad:



MmMmM I have my windows open. The high today was in 70's... Boy do i love florida.
 
Irishllama said:
MmMmM I have my windows open. The high today was in 70's... Boy do i love florida.

Florida, the only state (so far) that has a lawmaker that thinks a toilet paper tax is a good idea ;)

Humm, power surge to toilet paper….slightly off topic, but one could see the connection. :rolleyes:
 
Really? Is that the truth? I have not heard that, but haha if that is true i find it hilarious.
 
Just to be back on topic for a second

[Can you give me the details on the specs I should be looking at on these UPS?
Great find and great advice!]



I use the 500va, the cost is low enough that ALL the boxen are protected , and I am not worried about how long the poer will be out because if it is out over two minutes in this area it will be out for half a day or more.

I worry more about surges and momentary blips which, hurt or shut down the boxen than total power outages. the cost to provide a half of a days power to 20+ boxen is not in my budget but these UPS's are.

Now back to the current topic :D


I have opened up the house and am getting the AC ready, FOUR months early this year, the ski resort is closing early due to NO SNOW, and having lived here since 1967, this is the first time I can remember it so warm so early. the records for temps being broken daily seems to make my memory close to reality (don't tell anyone) :D


 
racercarl said:
Just to be back on topic for a second

[Can you give me the details on the specs I should be looking at on these UPS?
Great find and great advice!]



I use the 500va, the cost is low enough that ALL the boxen are protected , and I am not worried about how long the poer will be out because if it is out over two minutes in this area it will be out for half a day or more.

I worry more about surges and momentary blips which, hurt or shut down the boxen than total power outages. the cost to provide a half of a days power to 20+ boxen is not in my budget but these UPS's are.

Now back to the current topic :D


I have opened up the house and am getting the AC ready, FOUR months early this year, the ski resort is closing early due to NO SNOW, and having lived here since 1967, this is the first time I can remember it so warm so early. the records for temps being broken daily seems to make my memory close to reality (don't tell anyone) :D



Damnit. once its THIS far off topic. you can NEVER go back. NEVER I say..

well.
I am kinda interested, since I will soon have a lot of [H]ardware i need to protect...
Fold [H]ard----or Die [H]ard
 
racercarl said:
[Can you give me the details on the specs I should be looking at on these UPS?
Great find and great advice!]


I use the 500va, the cost is low enough that ALL the boxen are protected , and I am not worried about how long the poer will be out because if it is out over two minutes in this area it will be out for half a day or more.

I worry more about surges and momentary blips which, hurt or shut down the boxen than total power outages. the cost to provide a half of a days power to 20+ boxen is not in my budget but these UPS's are.


Well it MUST weight exactly 2063 kilosgrams to be any good. The outlets need to be on the bottom of the unit in order to be effective against bird droppings. Outlets must all be 480 volts in 3 phase, arranged in an [H] pattern or the EMI distortation effect will be negated by the earths rotation. The color of the unit *must* be lime green or the rodents will inhabit the universe. I've your unsure on any of this, drop ship the unit to me and I can convert it to a Marty approvel model for the cost of only, $3.82.

Back off topic- UPS's basically have two factors. The load they can run (XXX VA) and how long they can run this load. Good rule of thumb with power filtering gear is to run with 33% headroom (500 VA load, get a 750 VA model). Note: a 1000 VA load UPS will not run 2x as long as a 500 VA model. It comes down to the size/depth so to speak of the battery in that aspect. The VA is how much stuff it can run, battery is for how long.

On your UPS, unplug it and see if it works is my guess. Higher end UPS's you can load up their software and see the load/estimated battery run life and all sorts of neat stuff. If the UPS has a serial port/LAN connector, plug it in and play around. You should also be able to tell the computers to shutdown softly in a power outage when the UPS power get low enough (save the cores!)

UPS's by design do good power filtering, which sounds like all you are after. APC has a neet calculator on their web site for all this stuff.
 
I can run 6 computers (2100+ - 3200+ AthlonXP's) a CRT and a switch off a 1400VA UPS. My 500VA UPSs max out at about 3 computers and an LCD monitor.
 
I thought minumum weight was 1300 pounds, am I in the wrong class again? or did I do the conversion math wrong ?





Hold it this isn't the race car we're talking about, whew ! ! ! !

thought i was illeagle for a second there :D :D
 
Back
Top