• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Power Supply Upgrade - Games / Mining for fun

imre

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 2, 2012
Messages
311
UPDATED:

HI, so i currently have an AOPEN AX500-A power supply it says 460 Watt and 500 Watt peak.
I have tried sites like Jonyguru but i really find it very unfriendly. I typed in a couple of power supplies i am looking for and it doesn't find results.

I currently have the MSI A88X G43 motherboard with AMD Athlon X4 860K and 16GB ram at 1866 but for the love it me it only runs at 1333 i really cant believe this with today's technology, you pay so much for this stuff and its always
compatibility issues- I have actually forced my bios to recognize it as a 1866 frequency memory , not sure how this makes a difference or if it even does, i would imagine the best is if the bloody thing was recognized in the first place..... and finally have an amazing TOP of the range GTX650.

Bear in in mind 8 months ago i was still on Socket 939 with DDR1 memory and a 9800 GT....and maybe 10 month before that i was on Athlon XP 2500+ with AGP 7800. Top of the range.

My question is coming, but i am trying to give the details of what my experiences are and what i want to get to , please.
I would like to get a better PSU such as a 550Watt but then somebody told me rather get a better one like a 600 or 650 or even 700/750 Watt.

Only problem is that i am limited here with what i can get for my money.

I would really appreciate it somebody can assist me in finding one or narrowing down from what i have found.

If i could just find a simple site where you can compare PSUs side by side then it will make it easier for me.

so first off i reckon getting a good warranty would be great BUT if you guys reckon the item is so good it doesn't even need
Warranty , then ill take your word for me.

I have found these of the following which i can afford. My price range is around 1000 to 1500 Rand which is ZAR (www.xe.com)

www.takealot.co.za and www.loot.co.za are the only sites i can buy from in this scenario.

I have found these PSUs to be interesting.. I reckon i should go more than 600 Watts , so would 650 do it OR should u really go as high as 700 + :

http://www.takealot.com/cooler-mast...es-750w-semi-modular-power-suppl/PLID34188986
http://www.takealot.com/aerocool-650w-vx-power-supply/PLID41402611
http://www.takealot.com/antec-vp700p-700w-power-supply/PLID41397459
http://www.takealot.com/fsp-aurum-s-700watt-power-supply/PLID41165566
http://www.takealot.com/aerocool-650w-vx-power-supply/PLID41402611
http://www.takealot.com/cooler-master-gm750w-80-modular-power-supply-black/PLID34186400 (seems like a lot of cash for me)
1500 rand is really alot of money for me but if you guys reckon it is important to have a good PSU i guess i need to byte the bullet. I was actually going to originally buy a graphics card like an RX460....

I do have future plans to get 2x RX470 graphics cards by Power Color.
I have noticed that there are a few mixed reviews on how much wattage you should have for x amount of graphics cards.

Anyways if you guys can assist me in please find a decent power supply from the list above AND HOPEFULLY it is a vital component for the PC to run efficiently ?

Appreciate you going through the list of the PSUs i found above....
I reckon for me, getting 8pin and 6 pin PCI-e, is essential as apparently you do not want to play with Molex to 6/8 pin connectors so i was told.
I wanted to ask the experts online like you guys in this community, thanks.

I would like to be running 2 graphics cards in my system with possibly a 3rd and 4th in future using PCI Risers,
I just cant afford to buy and make a mistake.... perhaps i need to get a decent 500 Watt or maybe the one i have ia already fine and it is just about me finding another gfx card now to insert in to another old Intel 775 i have... its very very slow though it does have a PCI-E slot. I also have my ancient X2 4400+ socket 939 motherboard which i can put a card in to ?

Then again do i want to run 3 machines where i can just run one which more newer technology.
 
Last edited:
Holy hell, you wrote a lot.

Go with a 600-700W supply. It's not that much more cash, and it will give you a bit more room for expansion if you're going to run 3-4 cards in the future.

Get Corsair or Cooler Master from the ones you listed. They're both solid companies, and they both have 3 year warranties.
 
Holy hell, you wrote a lot.
Go with a 600-700W supply. It's not that much more cash, and it will give you a bit more room for expansion if you're going to run 3-4 cards in the future.
Get Corsair or Cooler Master from the ones you listed. They're both solid companies, and they both have 3 year warranties.

I dont know how i got it right but i copied and pasted it twice like an idiot, im very very anxious man i really want to stop hesitation and just get along with things.
How do you feel about the semi modular option - http://www.takealot.com/cooler-mast...es-750w-semi-modular-power-suppl/PLID34188986 ?
This one also looked good - Antec VP700P 700W Power Supply - it only has 2 year warranty though - But i like the fact it says guaranteed 700 Watt - http://www.takealot.com/antec-vp700p-700w-power-supply/PLID41397459
This one too http://www.takealot.com/fsp-aurum-s-700watt-power-supply/PLID41165566 but it only has a 12 month guarantee, i dont know?
 
I dont know how i got it right but i copied and pasted it twice like an idiot, im very very anxious man i really want to stop hesitation and just get along with things.
How do you feel about the semi modular option - http://www.takealot.com/cooler-mast...es-750w-semi-modular-power-suppl/PLID34188986 ?
This one also looked good - Antec VP700P 700W Power Supply - it only has 2 year warranty though - But i like the fact it says guaranteed 700 Watt - http://www.takealot.com/antec-vp700p-700w-power-supply/PLID41397459
This one too http://www.takealot.com/fsp-aurum-s-700watt-power-supply/PLID41165566 but it only has a 12 month guarantee, i dont know?

Modular or not just depends on your own needs. Fully modular works great if you're limited on space inside the case, or if you're doing custom cable colors or lengths. If you're just looking for a standard PSU, then you don't need modular and it just adds a bit of cost.

They're ALL going to deliver the rated power, as long as you get a reputable brand. Antec makes decent power supplies, as do Cooler Master and Corsair. So I'd personally go with the longest warranty. If you can find an eVGA supply, they make some with 10 year warranties, and Thermaltake has a few with 7 years.
 
Seems we get EVGA here in South Africa but at a hectik price, maybe not that well targeted. The are so many computer components and different brands i guess they chose these ones....
Anyways its not really the best site to buy from BUT i am limited there for this scenario.

When i buy my GFX cards i plan to buy from www.wootware.co.za they seem to the have the best prices for me.
I want to get the RX470's, im guessing for mining or data computation the RX460 would just be a flat card and not enough power.
I think i am not a nerd enough to say i want modular, i am happy with semi modular.

But i thought there are things u are supposed to look for when buying a PSU like that rating thing, of continuous...and the 12 volt rail having at least more than 18 amps.... i dont know how u check this stufff...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top