Power Supply Sizing Question

Zetro

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone,

So with some video card bundles that I purchased I ended up getting 3 of these now infamous Gigabyte 750/850W Gold power supplies. I ended up putting them in my lab to replace some pre-80 plus Corsair CX units but now a couple months later they are a danger. As these units run 24/7 and have a lot of expensive gear attached, goal is to put these Gigabyte POS units in the trash bin and replace them.

My goal is to get the same unit for all of my lab nodes, as they don't have a real video card in them I can probably keep them pretty light. Here are the specs:

Node 1:
R5 3600
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
128GB Kingston 3600MHz
2 x 1TB SN550 NVMe
4 x 4TB WD Blue
2 x 1TB WD Blue SSD
1 x Intel Quad Port NIC
2 x Intel Single Port NIC
Geforce GT710

Node 2:
A10-7800
Gigabyte F2A88X-D3HP
32GB Kingston 1600MHz
1 x 250GB WD Blue SSD
1 x 1TB SN550 (in a PCI-E Card)
7 x 8TB WD Red
1 x Intel Quad Port NIC
1 x Intel Single Port NIC

Node 3:
R5 3600
Gigabyte B550M DS3H
128GB Kingston 3600MHz
2 x 1TB SN550 NVMe
2 x 2TB WD Blue
2 x 1TB WD Blue SSD
1 x Intel Quad Port NIC
Geforce GT710
Corsair H100i Watercooler

---

For each of the above I am pretty sure that I can get away with running a Corsair RM550x - but I would love a second set of eyes to make sure I am not insane :)

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

So with some video card bundles that I purchased I ended up getting 3 of these now infamous Gigabyte 750/850W Gold power supplies. I ended up putting them in my lab to replace some pre-80 plus Corsair CX units but now a couple months later they are a danger. As these units run 24/7 and have a lot of expensive gear attached, goal is to put these Gigabyte POS units in the trash bin and replace them.

My goal is to get the same unit for all of my lab nodes, as they don't have a real video card in them I can probably keep them pretty light. Here are the specs:

Node 1:
R5 3600
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite
128GB Kingston 3600MHz
2 x 1TB SN550 NVMe
4 x 4TB WD Blue
2 x 1TB WD Blue SSD
1 x Intel Quad Port NIC
2 x Intel Single Port NIC
Geforce GT710

Node 2:
A10-7800
Gigabyte F2A88X-D3HP
32GB Kingston 1600MHz
1 x 250GB WD Blue SSD
1 x 1TB SN550 (in a PCI-E Card)
7 x 8TB WD Red
1 x Intel Quad Port NIC

Node 3:
R5 3600
Gigabyte B550M DS3H
128GB Kingston 3600MHz
2 x 1TB SN550 NVMe
2 x 2TB WD Blue
2 x 1TB WD Blue SSD
1 x Intel Quad Port NIC
Geforce GT710
Corsair H100i Watercooler

---

For each of the above I am pretty sure that I can get away with running a Corsair RM550x - but I would love a second set of eyes to make sure I am not insane :)
That seems right on, if not a bit over tbh. I was thinking more along 400-450w gold from evga, seasonic, corsair etc.
Ive been known to add a few hundred watts for good measure to put it gently ;)

I don't know the details, but I'll guessing since you're asking you don't either.

Why would you buy PSUs known to explode, and connect them to good PC hardware? Ratings are just numbers manufacturers print on the box.

Thanks! At the time these went in I saw DOA concerns but nothing related to explosions. As they worked I didn’t think about it.

but once the danger part became well known, to the garbage they go. The exchange program I don’t even feel comfortable or worth the waste of time.

Thanks! At the time these went in I saw DOA concerns but nothing related to explosions. As they worked I didn’t think about it.

but once the danger part became well known, to the garbage they go. The exchange program I don’t even feel comfortable or worth the waste of time.
And the main reason on the ask was to make sure I wasn’t missing the boat if on newer gear power supply needs have changed rapidly. I didn’t think much changed, but it doesn’t hurt to ask.

the “you don’t know” poor attitude is not appreciated, validation and asking should always be welcomed.

I don't know the details, but I'll guessing since you're asking you don't either.

Why would you buy PSUs known to explode, and connect them to good PC hardware? Ratings are just numbers manufacturers print on the box.
I thought he made it clear he bought the gigabyte psus prior to learning they were junk?
That's the whole point of this thread..." What should i replace them with?"

Reactions: Zetro
like this
I thought he made it clear he bought the gigabyte psus prior to learning they were junk?
That's the whole point of this thread..." What should i replace them with?"
missed that I suppose. The answer in that case is " any other PSU not known to explode".

Back