Power supply requirements for Crossfire

thfx

Limp Gawd
Hello there.

I currently have a Core2Duo E6600 setup that I will be upgrading to a Q6600 setup. I also am using a Enermax Liberty 500W PSU. Will this power supply be enough for the quad core and buying two HD4850 for crossfire? I am upgrading from a single slot X1900 radeon card.

i don't think so. your psu has combined 32a on the dual 12v rails. depending on how many components you're running along with the quad core and two 4850s, and if you plan to do any overclocking, you might be pushing the psu beyond its limits and severely shortening its lifespan. also depends on the efficiency of the psu and the maximum load you'll be pushing. guru3d actually recommends 30a on the 12v rail for a system with a single 4850:

http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-ati-radeon-hd-4850-review-force-3d--powercolor/7

so yeah, i don't think x-fired 4850s would work with your system unless you upgrade your psu.

Just to follow up. out with the ol X1900GT and in with the dual 4850's in CF. No problems yet with power at all. Everything is running great!

oh yeah and HUGE upgrade! :D

Back