• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Power Supply Replacement

mastermike707

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
93
I recently purchased a computer from a friend of a friend with the following specifications:
Core i7 980X
24GB of RAM
ASUS Rampage III
HD5970 Black Edition
100GB SSD
~5 HDDs

He has a Silverstone ST1500 in it. This PSU seems like complete overkill to me. So I was thinking of selling the PSU and getting a replacement. What wattage do you think would be appropriate for a system like this? Any recommendations?
 
You can type in google -> psu calculator <- & add in all the parts etc. I normally at the last part select Capacitor Aging @ 15% I haphazardly entered what you got & guessed that you might have 4 fans too. Min power req 683watts Max 733watts. that's with the processor non overclocked. Think if you want add components later on or overclock, watercooling
 
I was planning to overclock and I got right around 800-850W after I added all the specifics in with 30% capacitor aging ( I want it to work for a long time). So I newegged 850W PS and came across this:
Antec CP-850 850W Continuous Power CPX-$115
Any other suggestions? Is the split 12V rails a problem?
 
You don't need anything more than around 500W for that system. If you want something high quality, I recommend the Seasonic X-560, Kingwin Lazer Gold 550W, or Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550W.
 
I don't think I'd run a (presumably overclocked) 980X, a 5970, and 5 hard drives on 500W of power.
 
I don't think I'd run a (presumably overclocked) 980X, a 5970, and 5 hard drives on 500W of power.
I misread the video card. For a 5970, I'd probably go for a 650W unit instead. However, any of the PSUs I suggested earlier would still be able to handle it without a hitch.
 
Back
Top