• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Power Supply Question

Incanus

Gawd
Joined
Apr 21, 2003
Messages
688
Hello peoples!

THis is my dealie. I've got a BIostar M7VIF motherboard, AMD XP 1700+ @ standard speed, 1 7200RPM 40 gig HDD, 1 24x10x40 CD-RW, no floppy, and an AGP TNT2 32MB video card, with onboard everything else, on a 240W P/S

Now I'm wanting to get myself a DVD burner, this one to be exact..
NEC 1300 4x DVD+/-R/RW
I need to know if I'm going to need a new power supply in order to power that, instead of the cd-rw drive. The cd-rw I'll put in my wifes computer but the dvd drive will be in mine.

What do you all think? Will it run it? I can't quite afford a new PS right now, though I will get one soon.
 
You probably would not need a new PS for just adding a cdrw drive.

What is the size ps that you have now?
 
I'm running everything there on a 240watt power supply.

I'm removing my CD-RW drive, and putting in a DVD-/+R/RW
 
No worries, you should be fine. The only real way to tell is to do it though, anything else based on max current draws and amperage ratings from the manufacturers is for the most part bogus.
 
pfft, i have my system in my sig on a 250 watt and its fine* :p


* This post does not condone acts of utter stupidity. Unless its just to hold you over until your new PSU arrives in the mail. Any day now.
 
Back
Top