Power supply problem? Must upgrade?

LucasG

Gawd
Hello!

So I recently got my second GeForce GTX 570 HD and set it up. But even though I had re-searched and seen that my PSU was enough to run SLI, it is doing a strange sound when under heavy load from gaming, such as Bad Company 2. It feels like a fan working hard, but I'm not completely sure, it could be something else. My current specs are listed on my signature, I'm running a Power PC & Cooling 750W (825W peak), 60A 12V. Should I go and upgrade? I'd like to get something that runs this just fine, affordable and modular (too keep my case more organized and improve airflow.)

Or should I just ignore the sound? It does not happen when running on a single video card.

Current PSU: http://www.pcpower.com/power-supply/silencer-750-quad-crossfire.html

Hello!

So I recently got my second GeForce GTX 570 HD and set it up. But even though I had re-searched and seen that my PSU was enough to run SLI, it is doing a strange sound when under heavy load from gaming, such as Bad Company 2. It feels like a fan working hard, but I'm not completely sure, it could be something else. My current specs are listed on my signature, I'm running a Power PC & Cooling 750W (825W peak), 60A 12V. Should I go and upgrade? I'd like to get something that runs this just fine, affordable and modular (too keep my case more organized and improve airflow.)

Or should I just ignore the sound? It does not happen when running on a single video card.

Current PSU: http://www.pcpower.com/power-supply/silencer-750-quad-crossfire.html
Your PSU is a solid Seasonic unit with enough power for your setup, the sound can be the 80mm having trouble keeping up with the heat or it could be coil whine..
You should try to run the PSU outside the case to see if the cooler air makes any difference and more clearly identify the sound source(the fan or a high pitch sound coming from inside the unit)

It seems like it's the card doing the sound now that I took it out. It also doesn't really sound like a high pitch coil whine like I've heard before. But the fan is working, the card temperature is also pretty fine. Should I RMA? Or keep on checking more?

It seems like it's the card doing the sound now that I took it out. It also doesn't really sound like a high pitch coil whine like I've heard before. But the fan is working, the card temperature is also pretty fine. Should I RMA? Or keep on checking more?

Well, it's up to you, if you're sure is the card you should talk to the retailer you got it from and see if they're willing to replace it, it's what I'd do.

Well, my thing is I live in Costa Rica, I use a special shipping service to get it from there to here... So it's going to take me probably a few good weeks to RMA.

It also doesn't sound like something too bad though, I personally think it could be just fine if I close my case. I still am uploading a video on YouTube so someone can check the sound, actually on the microphone (iPhone 3GS) it's barely noticeable. At least it's not the power supply so it won't fry my PC or something like that.

Help is appreciated, maybe it's just me. I'm quiet sensitive to sounds, but if the card is fine, I can manage to get used to it.

http://youtu.be/zkE-QVyX-dA

Edit: It does sound like a different type of coil whine. It only happens when it's ingame, not even in the menus, just when you're actually playing.

Last edited:
That's normal coil whine. If you can tolerate it, it's nothing to worry about.

Can't tell if it's coil whine or a high revving fan with issues.. given it only happens under load it could be either.

The sound seems like coil whining, you can kinda notice it mostly at the end, after I close the game you'll notice one little sound disappears. Also, it only happens when playing the game, as soon as I minimize the game, it stops, as soon as I maximize, it starts again. I saw the fan spins exactly as it does on my other card that does no sound and the temperatures are pretty much next to each other in comparison with both cards.

I guess everything simply points to be some coil whining? If I close my case and put some sound, I can barely even notice it.

So, would anyone else think it's just a simple coil whine and should be fine with it?

Coil whine is common and random. Perfectly normal. The amount of coil whine you get and whether you even hear it at all can also change depending on the load. It's just a nature of electronics.

Coil whine is common and random. Perfectly normal. The amount of coil whine you get and whether you even hear it at all can also change depending on the load. It's just a nature of electronics.

Right, my concern is only if it is or not coil whine. It's just different to the coil whines I've experienced from older cards. Those were like a little high pitched sound, this is a little bit different. Recording: http://youtu.be/zkE-QVyX-dA

you could remove the 80mm fan, cut a hole in the top and install a new 120mm... that is what I did... MAN it got quiet

Back