Power Supply Noise + Recommendations

lmnop

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 12, 2006
Messages
74
I was using my PC this morning without any noticeable issues and then turned it off for about 5 hours.

When I turned it back on, there was an audible noise coming from my power supply - kind of a faint buzzing "electricity" type sound. My power supply never made this kind of noise before. When I turn my PC off, the noise becomes much quieter, but when I place my ear near the PSU the sound is still there. When I flip the switch on the PSU, the sound is completely gone.

Is this a bad sign, is the PSU dying, is there a way to test? The unit in question is an Antec High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply. I have had this PSU less than 1 year.

As a side note, before this PSU I did have a Corsair AX750 which had loud capacitor whine at idle, and even more under load. This Antec HCP-750 never displayed any of the symptoms of the AX750. The noise the HCP-750 is now making does not increase under load.

What is a good replacement PSU in today's market? My system will remain pretty much the same, with the exception of maybe upgrading the GPU (single card only) and adding/swapping out storage drives.

Specs:
i7 2600k
Asus P8Z68V-Pro
nVidia GTX 570
Crucial M4 128gb SSD
3 storage drives.
Asus Xonar DG sound card

Any advice as to whether my PSU is on the way out and for recommendations on a new *quiet* PSU for the above system would be greatly appreciated.
 
Sounds like coil whine to me, which happens on many PSU's. It's not really a sign of things to come, it just kind of happens on some units. I have a Corsair TX750 and I get coil whine under very specific load conditions. Like if my GPU is under heavy load while my CPU has little to no load. Fortunately my computer is never under this condition, I only discovered it when I was messing around with Folding at Home and enabled the GPU client.
 
Thank sir give the information about mainly fault on power Supply.Because i also face this problem.But now try to your idea.
 
Coil whine. It really comes down to, as said above, load conditions, hardware used, and your sensitivity to such noise. I know one of my old computers made loud coil whine, yet my parents couldn't hear anything.

Additionally, coil whine can even come from GPUs and motherboards, so it's not just limited to power supplies. Although, it's much more common with power supplies, and it seems that you have narrowed it down to your power supply.

If you're going to stay with single GPU only, I would suggest something in the 600-650 watt range. Your system does not require 750 watts.
 
Thanks for the replies folks.
Oddly enough, this noise has disappeared. I will see if it comes back and update the thread.

I agree with the coil whine as stated above. I found my Corsair AX750 to whine to a point where I didn't find it bearable. When running Prime95 or 3DMark it would get even louder. Luckily the Antec HCP750 has been quiet, which was why I was concerned when I heard this noise yesterday. I'm not sure what exactly caused this noise - we did have some thunder/lightning yesterday in the hours when I had the PC turned off, not sure if that would be a factor.
 
my Antec HiCur Gamer Series 900W is starting to whine.... :/ two weeks into it too hahaha


Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android
 
Back
Top