Power Supply/ Motherboard Connector

LazyD

n00b
Hey all,

Im workin on fixin a computer for a friend and im kind of stuck. He said someone else built the computer for him and I havent really got out of him whether the computer ever worked for him or not but he says it doesnt turn on, low and behold, it doesnt, plug it in, press the power nothin happens. The power supply is fine because when I plug it in an amber light on the motherboard comes on and ive also been able to short circuit the power supply to come on. Upon inspection, the motherboard connector's yellow wire, the 12 volt line, #11 pin I believe looks like it either caught fire or got extremely hot as the plastic around that pin is brown. Could that be the reason it doesnt come on? Ive reconnected the power button a few times and no dice.

You should definitely try another PSU; the lights operating on the motherboard are a far cry from being any sort of pass / fail analysis. Coupled with PSU pins that look to have been cooked would definitely warrant a try with another PSU; make sure you try a good quality 550 watt psu or larger. Stay clear of any PSU that cost less than $85.00

good luck and post back your testing results

Back