• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Power supply modding

vsboxerboy

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 17, 2005
Messages
3,661
Hey guys, I'm looking to trim down a PSU to fit into a non standard case, and I wanted to be sure to check to see where the danger of shock is. I know that capacitors can store a really strong charge, so how can I be sure to discharge these before I go to work?

Any reads in particular that you would recommend? Basically what I'll be doing is removing the guts of the PSU from its housing, placing it in a custom housing, getting fans to run to keep the psu cool, trimming off unnecessary cables and shortening or lengthening the ones that I want to keep, and sleeving it as well.

Thanks :)
 
To release the charge of a capacitor, you need to short its leads together (this bypasses the dielectric and creates a circuit). If you're going to handle the guts of a recently-powered PSU, I also recommend that you put on a pair of rubber gloves beforehand.
 
Don't short the capacitors out with a screw driver, use a beefy power resistor otherwise you can damage them.
 
Back
Top