power supply making a short squealing noise after turning off computer

verytiny

n00b
my seasonic g650 has begun to make this weird sound every time i turn off my pc. the sound does not last forever; it only lasts about 1-2 seconds. it seems to occur as the psu's fans are slowing down.

i haven't been able tto find any sort of information about this. does this signal the impending doom of the power supply?

How long have you have you been using the supply? What are your specs?

This sounds like a dry bearing in the fan to me. If you feel savvy you could always open the supply and spray some lubrication into the fan bearings, or, a better option, replace the fan.

How long have you have you been using the supply? What are your specs?
around 1.5 years

i7 5820k 4.0ghz 1.11v
asrock x99e itx/ac
corsair vengeance 16gb 2666mhz
asus gtx 970 dc mini
Samsung 850 evo 500gb
wd blue 1tb

strangely enough, the noise has gotten quieter recently. before i could hear it clearly from 2ft away

Squealing on power down is most likely a faulty capacitor.

Does it squeal and then all of a sudden stop (most definitely a capacitor), or does it squeal and the squeal fades?

This sounds like a dry bearing in the fan to me. If you feel savvy you could always open the supply and spray some lubrication into the fan bearings, or, a better option, replace the fan.

Spray oil into the fan bearings???? you can't get at the bearings unless you take the sticker off the back of the fan. And you cannot get to the front bearing if it is a ball-bearing design unless you take the fan apart. If it is a sleeve bearing design, then you still want to take it apart in order to clean the bearing and shaft and then re-oil it.

And you most definitely don't want to spray any oil in there. You only need about 1 drop. Spraying oil is going to just make a huge mess and get oil on stuff it shouldn't be on.

Spray oil into the fan bearings???? you can't get at the bearings unless you take the sticker off the back of the fan. And you cannot get to the front bearing if it is a ball-bearing design unless you take the fan apart. If it is a sleeve bearing design, then you still want to take it apart in order to clean the bearing and shaft and then re-oil it.

And you most definitely don't want to spray any oil in there. You only need about 1 drop. Spraying oil is going to just make a huge mess and get oil on stuff it shouldn't be on.

I guess I was a bit vague. I simply meant to oil the bearing. It was a stop gap fix anyways, as a fan replacement is an easier and better option.

Squealing on power down is most likely a faulty capacitor.

Does it squeal and then all of a sudden stop (most definitely a capacitor), or does it squeal and the squeal fades?

This could be just the capacitors discharging at shutdown. Does not indicate faultly part.

How are the voltages on the psu? Also if you let the computer shutodwn over night and turn it on next day does it turn on fine without delay or retries. If it turns on fine and voltages are ok the psu is probably fine.

Back