Power Supply jumping, quick help needed

Benton The Race

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 3, 2005
Messages
287
Hey guys I just hooked up a bunch of fans and UV's for my upcoming computer. I want to use an old 500w powersupply to see if its all working. How do I use a 20 pin PSU without a motherboard?
 
on the 20 pin connector, you should see a green and a black wire. they are at either pin 4 and pin 7 or pin 14 and pin 17. use a paperclip to connect green to black and your good to go.
 
no problem. i figured id help you out, cause when i first got my PSU, i coudlnt figure out why i couldnt run it. i was baffled!
 
Obviously do not attempt to jumper the connector while it is plugged in and turned on.... :) Just felt like I needed to say that. I've seen some people do some pretty silly things with paper clips and electricity.
 
another "safer" option would be to get a power supply tester. Something like this

Although the paper chip method works. Just be careful.
 
Sieravor said:
Obviously do not attempt to jumper the connector while it is plugged in and turned on.... :) Just felt like I needed to say that. I've seen some people do some pretty silly things with paper clips and electricity.


How else are you going to test it w/out plugging it in? :D

Its a pretty safe procedure, although some PSU's require something with more of a draw than a single fan. PCP&C required a HDD or something like that hooked up to do their jumper test.
 
Back
Top