Power Supply Issue?

bozinius

n00b
I installed a new motherboard, cpu, video card, and memory into my case and everything was working fine for about 2 weeks. However I noticed I hadn't hooked up the front fans on my case (Antec 900) to the power supply. So I opened my case to hook it up and tested it. The computer powered up just fine and was booting. I went ahead and tried to close the case while the computer was still running. While I was pushing in all the cables into the case in order to shut it the power went off. When I tried to reboot the computer it went into this endless loop of powering up for a second then powering off. I think I have it narrowed down to the CPU power cable. When I have that cable hooked up it does the endless restart problem. When I don't have it hooked up everything starts working fine except for the fact the CPU won't ever turn on without the power.

So I'm thinking I either shorted the cable to the power supply or shorted the motherboard power connector. Any ideas on how to narrow this down further? I'm definetely on the modular power supply camp now because this problem was caused by the fact I had to force a lot of unused cables into the case (and my stupidity).

So I'm thinking about buying a new power supply to see if the power supply is the issue. Any recommendations? Modular cables is a must.

The parts in question.
PC Power and Cooling 750W
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
XFX PVT88PYDF4 GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

Back