• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Power Supply - How could it be the problem?

JSumrall

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
460
I have an interesting conundrum I hope someone here can help with involving an Corsair HX1000w power supply I picked up back in 2008. This power supply has been awesome and has been part of at least 4 computer builds that I remember, if not 5. I last used it in a build back in 2012 and it has been part of that machine for the past 7 years.

Recently, after a system reboot, the machine would power on, but not POST. I went through and eliminated everything save the processor and mainboard as the problem. I even connected the HX1000w to my main machine and everything booted fine, which I thought eliminated the power supply as the problem. I read the msi x79a-gd45 8d has a problem that sometimes causes this issue and I thought I'd found my problem.

I decided to just call it quits on the GD45, and pulled out a computer from 2007 to act as my second machine. I moved the Corsair HX1000w power supply from the GD45 to this ASUS P5N-E 2007 and it wouldn't boot either. It will power on but not post. I put the old power supply back in the P5N-E and it booted fine.

How could this be a problem with the power supply?

Any suggestions?
 
Capacitors have lost their ability to charge enough and could be preventing ripple suppression and/or no longer supply enough power.
Either replace the caps or replace the PSU.
 
Capacitors have lost their ability to charge enough and could be preventing ripple suppression and/or no longer supply enough power.
Either replace the caps or replace the PSU.

Would that capacitor problem be measurable with a meter?
 
Last edited:
Would that capacitor problem be measurable with a meter?
The capacity issue can be verified by watching how much voltage drops on +12V when its heavily loaded.
If it drops significantly when there is only a light load it is for sure not happy.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mac29
like this
Well, it isn't the power supply. I moved the 11 year old Corsair to my main machine and it is working great. I honestly have no idea why it didn't work for the other two machines. :(
 
Your main machine can be more tolerant of ripple than your older machines.
 
Well, it isn't the power supply. I moved the 11 year old Corsair to my main machine and it is working great. I honestly have no idea why it didn't work for the other two machines. :(

This is not an indicator that the power supply is perfectly healthy. I've seen this problem on aged PSU's and I ended up having to toss them. I had a ten year old ThermalTake Toughpower 1200 watt unit that I used in my main rig for years and then another five years or more on my test bench. I used it with 30+ motherboards and all was well until the day it wasn't. It worked with a couple boards after that, but not all of them. I started having other issues after that. Issues like the system being fine until I put it under stress. Then the PSU would shut off. If your PSU is that old, write it off and replace it.
 
I moved the power supply from my main machine to the 2007 P5N-E SLI machine and it had similar problems with getting it to run. I'm guessing at this point the power supplies are not the problem. Thanks for your input.
 
Back
Top