XHeadintheCloudsX
n00b
- Joined
- Sep 21, 2004
- Messages
- 8
Ok, so I ended up with a dead Mac LC (viewable here, though mine didn't have the monitor. Missing processor, sketchy looking SCSI HD cable, and some motherboard corrosion. Oh- and it was sitting in my fiance's trunk for the last 7 months.
Oops.
So yeah, it's dead, and I decided to play around. The main problem is that it's really tiny... probably no taller than a 1U server, but not as deep and narrower. A micro ATX board would fit with a low profile heatsink/fan combo, but it'd use up most of the internal space that the HD and DVD drive wouldn't take up. Probably a cooling nightmare for the proposed Athlon XP or Sempron.
A VIA EPIA board (MII10000) with a C3 is significantly smaller leaving more room for cooling, besides being a low-power & cooler processor. And, it's not that much more expensive (this would only be a PC to connect to my A/V unit, so I don't need much processing power).
As near as I can tell, the VIA uses a standard ATX power connector. mini-box.com sells this power supply with an external power adaptor. It'd certainly be enough for a C3 system with 1 HD, 1 slimline DVD, and a possibly another fan to help cooling. at 200 watts, it should also be enough for the microATX/AMD setup (looks like I'd just need an additional cable since I couldn't snap the power supply card directly into the mATX motherboard.
However, it's only got a few power cables for internal parts. It'd be enough to power what I needed, but if I wanted a little more safety, 1U and Shuttle, and other ATX/microATX power supplies would be way too big for an internal fit... I basically need to go with an external power supply. Am I stuck with the mini-box setup, or is there another retail option (or one that doesn't require major power supply surgey)?
Sorry for the long intro, but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks in advance.
<edit> Damn typos.
Oops.
So yeah, it's dead, and I decided to play around. The main problem is that it's really tiny... probably no taller than a 1U server, but not as deep and narrower. A micro ATX board would fit with a low profile heatsink/fan combo, but it'd use up most of the internal space that the HD and DVD drive wouldn't take up. Probably a cooling nightmare for the proposed Athlon XP or Sempron.
A VIA EPIA board (MII10000) with a C3 is significantly smaller leaving more room for cooling, besides being a low-power & cooler processor. And, it's not that much more expensive (this would only be a PC to connect to my A/V unit, so I don't need much processing power).
As near as I can tell, the VIA uses a standard ATX power connector. mini-box.com sells this power supply with an external power adaptor. It'd certainly be enough for a C3 system with 1 HD, 1 slimline DVD, and a possibly another fan to help cooling. at 200 watts, it should also be enough for the microATX/AMD setup (looks like I'd just need an additional cable since I couldn't snap the power supply card directly into the mATX motherboard.
However, it's only got a few power cables for internal parts. It'd be enough to power what I needed, but if I wanted a little more safety, 1U and Shuttle, and other ATX/microATX power supplies would be way too big for an internal fit... I basically need to go with an external power supply. Am I stuck with the mini-box setup, or is there another retail option (or one that doesn't require major power supply surgey)?
Sorry for the long intro, but I wanted to give as much info as possible. Thanks in advance.
<edit> Damn typos.