• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Power Supply for New Build

  • Thread starter Deleted member 109755
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 109755

Guest
I always come here for reviews and opinions, it's just something I've always done and will probably always continue to do. That being said; is it just me or is there never really anything more in the reviews than "this just barely qualifies as acceptable" ?

Is it a sign of over all quality going down hill or [H] anal retentive over-scrutinizing? (it's a question, not an allegation)


The reason I ask is I'm planning a build as follows:

Corsair 900D
Asus Rampage V Extreme
5930K
16 GB (Quad Channel) Corsair LP Vengeance 2666.
2x 840 EVO's
1x 3 TB Spindle
2x MSI 980OC's GAMING 4G
1x TBD Sound Card


And I just can't seem to settle on a PSU for this build because all of what I've read just turns me off to them. I figure I'll need 1K Watts to be on the safe side and I just kind of get the feeling nothing will really be acceptable, which is why I turn to you, my fellow [H]'ers to hopefully steer a troubled mind in the right direction.

Thanks in advance :)
 
Those GTX980s are rated at ~200w each for stock clocks under load. I would surmise your entire build would struggle to pull more than 600w at stock. However, it appears from your component selection that you plan on overclocking, so that 600w could very easily turn into 800w and then some. As such, i feel that your 1000w safe side assessment is a wise choice given what you plan on doing with the system.

So, if i was to be buying a quality 1000w unit right now here would be some of my picks:
Seasonic SS-1050XP3 Platinum
Corsair HXi HX1000i Platinum
XFX ProSeries P1-1000-BELX Platinum
Antec HCP-1000 Platinum
Enermax EPM1000EWT Platinum

These are all excellent units. I would pick the one with the best warranty.
 
I was looking closely at the Corsair HX1000i but after the review [H] did on it, basically calling it a second class choice.. it turned me off to it given my other components. I shall look into the others. Many thanks for your input.
 
The GTX 9XX series are notoriously well mannered in the power usage department.
Taking the numbers from [H]'s 980 SLI Review , their bench setup pulls 446W Fully Loaded with an OC'ed 3770K.

I'll go ahead and suggest a PSU around 700W. Normally I would suggest the EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W as it's going for $109.99 AR @ NewEgg. However, the 850W Variant has a bigger rebate bringing the price down to $114.99 which makes it a no-brainer to get over the 750w.
 
With no overclocking and video cards in SLI configuration, minimum recommended quality power supply is 650W.

With a bit of overclocking, then minimum recommended power supply is 750W.

EVGA Supernova G2 750W PSU is a highly recommended choice.
The Rosewill Capstone 750M is another possibility.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top