power supply for new build

junner518

n00b
Joined
Oct 26, 2006
Messages
6
I am going to build a new computer in the next couple of months and I want to know what power supply i should get.
Keep in mind im on a budget yet i want enough power to OC.
(see my previous thread here )
I was planning on going with:

gigabyte ds3
e6300
scythe ninja
2 gb of some ddr2-800 memory
x1950 pro

I also have 2 ide hds and 2 optical drives
any suggestions?
 
ya like i need one less than $80 or as cheap as I can get without screwing myself and damaging my equipment
 
junner518 said:
ya like i need one less than $80 or as cheap as I can get without screwing myself and damaging my equipment
believe it or not, the psu is almost more important that any other component of a computer.
If you skimp on a shitty psu and go with highend gear, it won't be pretty when you power up and everything is dead :(

I would advise you either save up or put in more money for a good psu

Some suggestions

1. OCZ GameXStream 700watt
2. OCZ GameXStream 600watt
 
This guy knows what he's talking about, but drop the GXS 600/700. better choices. and [size=+3]RIPPLE[/size]. I just don't recommend that power supply. Try the Corsair HX 620, it can be had for just under 150, and is the definition of awesome.
 
Do I really need 600w? I dont have crossfire or sli and dont plan on getting that in the near future.
and are rosewill psu's crap?
also how does this look? It seems that these xclio psus are good
 
junner518 said:
Do I really need 600w? I dont have crossfire or sli and dont plan on getting that in the near future.
and are rosewill psu's crap?
also how does this look? It seems that these xclio psus are good

1. Nope. You don't need that much power. it's great to have headroom, but you just don't need THAT much.
2. Rosewell = crap.
3. Looks good.

Try the Enhance ENS-5150 linked above first though.
 
AMD RULES said:
believe it or not, the psu is almost more important that any other component of a computer.
If you skimp on a shitty psu and go with highend gear, it won't be pretty when you power up and everything is dead :(

I would advise you either save up or put in more money for a good psu

Some suggestions

1. OCZ GameXStream 700watt
2. OCZ GameXStream 600watt

ya, believe it or not you can get good psu's for under 80. dont always buy into the big names. a little research into what you're buying and you can get very good value for the money.
 
Your proposed system at stock should have a full load of sub-250W and typical load of sub-200W overclocked I would assume a full load of sub-300W and typical load of sub-250W depending on how much you overclock.

This SeaSonic S12-380 should give you some headroom in-case it goes above 300W. And guess what? It’s under $80. Well unless you take into account shipping, but SeaSonic’s are worth it, very efficient PSUs.
 
Back
Top