• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

power supply for hard drive case

kjp007

n00b
Joined
Feb 14, 2009
Messages
5
I have an external hard drive enclosure with 8 bays and it's own micro atx power supply. The enclosure has two multilane connectors on the outside so I can connect the enclosure to my highpoint 2522 raid controller.

I have recently had the hard drives 'failing' and dropping off the raid.

However when I power the drives off my computer power supply (corsair 620w) the hard drives run fine, didn't fail, and there weren't any errors.

I found an old ATX power supply and jumpered it so it ran without a motherboard. Then I hooked up the hard drives to that power supply and the hard drives 'failed' immediately. I suspect there was something wrong with that power supply. the ATX power supply was an "icute 450w", probably a generic low quality power supply.

I want to get another power supply for the hard drives.
Is it safe to run a power supply for a long time with it jumpered so it runs without a motherboard? If not, is there a resistor or circuit I can put in place of the jumper?

Thanks in advance
 
I want to get another power supply for the hard drives.
You should generally ration about 25W per drive just to stay on the safe side, so since you'll be running 8 drives, any decent PSU with 250W or more will be plenty. I recommend something like this if you want something very reliable: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151059
Is it safe to run a power supply for a long time with it jumpered so it runs without a motherboard?
Yes. That's essentially how a computer tells the PSU to stay running.
 
Question - when you were testing your drives with the PC's power supply, was that everything running at once? That is, PC + hp raid + 8 drive array, all on the corsair psu?
 
Question - when you were testing your drives with the PC's power supply, was that everything running at once? That is, PC + hp raid + 8 drive array, all on the corsair psu?

I was only running 4 drives at that time. It will be 5 drives when I get my RMA from Western Digital. Can't afford more drives at the present.

maybe I'll post 5x1tb raid benchmark tests when everything is up and running smoothly.
 
Ok. You're probably right, it's probably a bad psu in the array. I was actually wondering if the external sas/sata (?) connector was the culprit, as was so often the case with scsi.
 
Back
Top