• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

power supply for 7950gt system

bselig

n00b
Joined
Nov 13, 2007
Messages
2
I'm going to add a 7950gt card to my dell e521 system. My current ps is around 200w and I've read that I need to upgrade to 450w or higher. I'd like a relatively inexpensive ps in this watt range but I am willing to spend $60-$80 if the extra cost is justified by the increase in quality. I'm going to use the pc for some occasional gaming, but mostly just internet and video playback.

thanks
 
From EVGA's website -Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 20 Amp Amps.)
Minimum 500 Watt for SLI mode system.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 28 Amp Amps.)

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=512-P2-N635-AR&family=18

I would invest in a new PSU, like you said you can get a nice one (make sure its a good one) for relatively cheap, and it would future proof your rig, and allows you the capability of adding more drives and not have to worry if your 200w can handle the load, which I'm sure it wouldn't.
 
I thought I was being all slick and tried to run an AMD 4100+ based system with a 7950 GT on a 200W PSU. Ran 3DM06 overnight and the PSU blew up before morning time. Ouch! What if I was playing an actual game or something that needed MORE power? :(

Anyhoo.... I agree. Good 380W+. Seasonic or Antec 380W, Corsair 450W, etc.
 
Back
Top