Power Supply for 4224

Ripley

Limp Gawd
I'm about to put together a new storage server but need some guidance on the power supply. It'll have all 24 bays full as well as 2 drives for the OS. I'll be using the following components as well:

SuperMicro X8DTL-3F-O

(1) Intel Xeon E5506
I may add a second down the road so the PS needs to have enough headroom for that.

(2) IBM - SERVERRAID BR10I
I've been told these support staggered spin-up

I was looking at this PS:

SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

But wasn't sure if I needed to go up to something like this:

CORSAIR Professional Series AX750
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139016

As a side question is there any way to chain two standard power supplies together, perhaps with some kind of distribution block or other hardware, to make a dual power supply setup? I know that dual supplies are available they are just damn pricey, so I was curious if there was any other way to do it.

You should not need dual power supplies for that build, unless you want a redundant design. Redundant models sacrifice cost and efficiency in order to be redundant, so unless you require it (Five-9s) you should stay away from them. I'm using a single AX750 in my 4224 and it works great. I'm running dual CPUs on it as well.

If you want redundant power supplies, get a Supermicro 846 series case. When you add in the cost of rails (included with the Supermicro) and two power supplies, it's only ~$200 more total. You get a backplane with logic (drive failure lights will actually work) and a bunch of other things like SGPIO for the power supplies, single connector for the front panel when using Supermicro boards, and so on with the Supermicro as well. It can also hold 2 drives internally for the OS on top of the 24 bays already present (or one hard drive and an optical).

Gigas you are correct in that I don't "need" dual power supplies, and yes my thought was for redundancy, just something that if it was possible I wanted.

Blue Fox, I like that case a lot, I'm gonna have to think that over. It is a bit more but may be worth it. Anyone know if ZFS can actually use the fail lights?

Back