• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Power Supply Fan Dying?

Requiem

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 11, 2004
Messages
208
Back at the beginning of December I bought this power supply, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-153-007&depa=0, (Thermaltake Silent Purepower 480W). I first noticed a change in pitch of one of the fans in my case and then narrowed it down to the power supply. The exhaust fan changes RPM very often without me touching the knob. It didn't do this right after I bought it and has recently started. Do I need a new power supply or something?
 
http://www.thermaltake.com/purepower/W001314.htm

"Temperature Automatic Fan Speed Control"


which could be borked, constantly readjusting itself
alternately it could be perfectly functional, switching on to lower the temperature and then switching off again
Id say try setting the manual fan speed higher and see if it calms down a bit
 
The reason why I doubt it is changing according to temperature is that it changes at very often and can go from 2500rpm to about 1000 very quicky. Also, it just started happening about a month ago so I doubt it is temperature. I have also tried different speed settings and it still changes speed rapidly.
 
Back
Top