Power supply calculator

Dutch

Limp Gawd
I'm using the power supply calculator here to plan for the requirements of my upcoming i7 build.

I used the Q9450 as an approximation of what the i7 would be.

I came out to 580 watts. I currently have an hx620, so not that far away from the max. Since it is this close, should I be upgrading my power supply to play it safe?

Edit: I am planning on doing 260 in SLI, and will probably go mid-range SLI for future cards from here on out.

You should really be focusing on how many amps you have on the +12V rail rather watts.

Amps on the rail? Can't say I'm familiar with how to calculate that. How do you know how many the psu can handle?

id say HX620 should be sufficient,
since 9450 only draw 95w and each 260 has 185w tdp

Just watched the video with the i7 and power consumption and it looks like the 920 draws about 250W under load at 3.8.

With 4 HDDs and 2x 260s it seems like it be running dangerously close to the hx620's limit.

Amps on the rail? Can't say I'm familiar with how to calculate that. How do you know how many the psu can handle?

Looky here. See the "600 watts" in the "Maximum Combined Wattage" row, underneath the 12v rail columns? That's the maximum amount of power the 12 volt rails can supply. Now, Voltage * Amperage = Wattage, and you can reverse that and get Wattage / Voltage = Amperage. That's how you'd find the amperage. 600 watts / 12 volts = 50 amps.

ShowImage.aspx

Looky here. See the "600 watts" in the "Maximum Combined Wattage" row, underneath the 12v rail columns? That's the maximum amount of power the 12 volt rails can supply. Now, Voltage * Amperage = Wattage, and you can reverse that and get Wattage / Voltage = Amperage. That's how you'd find the amperage. 600 watts / 12 volts = 50 amps.

ShowImage.aspx

I've always sucked at electronics. I just happen to be browsing the PSU sub-forum and read this lil tidbit of info :) Thanks for clearing something up AbJ32.

Cheers!

Back