Power supply buzzing while gaming

Superhuman

[H]ard|Gawd
I just upgraded to a GTX 780 Lightning and my power supply is making an incredibly annoying buzz when the graphics card is under load. Any ideas on what's causing this? And is the only fix to simply just replace it? Here is a video I took of it: http://youtu.be/VgPpFH0wtPY

you sure its not coming from the graphics card? In my experience, most 3d noise comes from the cards caps/transistors/coils, and is normal.

It's 100% for sure coming from the power supply. I put my ear next to both the power supply and graphics card and it's clearly coming from the power supply. It's extremely annoying, I can even hear it with my headset on if the volume is low. The video doesn't do the noise justice. It happened with my Radeon 6950 too, but nowhere near as extreme as with the GTX 780.

well again, the caps and coils can whine under load, regardless of what component we are discussing. only way I would think to fix it is replace the psu. some noise is considered normal behavior.

My LEPA 1600 unit makes occasional buzz sounds (1 second long maybe once an hour) while mining continuously - powering 4x R9 290 cards.

Your units sound is continuous which could be a bad coil. Then again could be normal for that model.

I just replaced the power supply with a Rosewill Tachyon 750w and the buzzing is completely gone. I'm glad it wasn't the video card. Didn't wanna have to deal with the hassle of exchanging it.

Back