Power supply busted it?

Mongose101

Limp Gawd
Well My computer was fine.. Shut it down,went to work... Got back and it will not power up.. Nothing.. no beeps no nothing, just dead. So I figure the PS went bad. I got a new one (Antic 430) put it in.. YES Powers up.. only, it keeps beeping.. like, beeeeeep pause beeeeeeep pause beeeeeep pause.. and so on.. just keeps going like that. So I reset the bios.. Ahh, now I get no beepsat all.. The hard drive just keeps running every thing is getting power. but no post.. well thats where I am.. Any advice? Fried something maybe? Cpu? Mem? this sucks for sure...

Edit: okay so now I am getting the beeps again like it was before.. Just keeps beeping..

Mongoose

edit: its not the one in my sig, its my wife computer but i didn't feel the specks were needed for this..

No Ideas at all?

It's a Abit KG-7 Raid board w\1.8gig AMD chip
512 \meg of DDR Ram
Geforce 3 ti 500 video card
Sound blaster Live!

Med. length beeps that never stop?

Your motherboard manual should explain what that post code error is.

Just a general list of things to try:

Make sure cpu fan is plugged in and functional.

Reseat all cards and connectors.

If that doesn't work, take everything out but the proc, ram, and vid card. That should at least post. Then start adding components back in one by one until you find the culprit.

Thanks for the reply. I did unplug every thing but the chip and mem. so I think it must be one of the 3.. not sure were the motherboard book is.. heh.. its been a couple years sence i've built it and never really needed it.. any how.. I just went ahead and ordered a new board and chip:

MB KX18D PRO nForce2 SPP ALBATRN
CPU AMD|2500 /333 ATHLON XP BARTON

well I guess that should do it.. at least I hope so...

Mongoose

Well I went ahead and ordered some new Mem. as well.. I found a listing on beeps and it seems that it could be video or mem. it said. But I have an exrta video card so I should be gold'n and my wifes computer gets a well needed up grade...

Mongoose

Sounds like your power supply took your mem/cpu/motherboard with it. (or a combo of the above.

Look for bulging or exploded caps on your motherboard before you start plugging in good components to troubleshoot with.

Good luck and Godspeed!

it sounds like a memory problem, it may not even be the psu. Check your jumper settings and your RAM the ram may not be in all the way and is causing it to short. or possibly your motherboard is touching part of the mo-bo tray and is grounding itself. Before going out and ordering a new mobo or cpu or really anything, make sure the ram is in all the way and the jumpers are set right, you can never be too sure of things.

my advice... strip the thing down, take the mobo out, take the psu out. Put it all on a wood table, floor, cardboard. try to start it up (just trying to get into bios, or see a post screen so you dont need drives).

move the ram around, (swap slots, try each one by itself in each slot)

try a difrent vid card (if your using agp also think of trying a pci)

once you get it to work, you should have your anwer but if not, add things back on untill it messes up again then you should have your anwer.

i know its a pain in the ass but if you did fry something its the best way to know, and your going to have to gut the thing to work on it anyway. if you have a cpu you can swap out just to test that wouldnt be a bad idea either but id save that pain in the ass for last.

good luck!

Back