Power supply acting strange...

Avengeance

Gawd
Joined
Apr 10, 2004
Messages
773
Ok, so if I unplug my computer and then plug it back in and then turn it on, it turns on for a seccond and then shuts back off. Then if I hit the power plug again it will turn on like normal. Is that a problem? Also when playing games, on some games I get artifacting after a few minutes of playing. I get red squares all over the screen and the game locks up. I am not sure if this is power supply related or what but I am not sure. What do you all think? I have a Antec Earthwatts 550w power supply.
 
What motherboard do you have? I sound like I'm a broken record tonight, but I'd bet it's an intel chipset board (P35?). If so then the momentary power on issue you mentioned is normal behavior for a lot of intel chipset boards.

However the red squares and artifacting point to a problem with the video card, either overheating or a just plain defective card. Tried taking the side panel off your case and seeing if the artifacting problem still happens?

The Antec Earthwatts is a pretty solidly built Seasonic based power supply and as such it shouldn't immediately be suspect, but as always it's possible that you have a bad one.
 
Its an intel DG33BU motherboard. Problem is the tempature on my video card stays low under load so I guess it might jsut be bad. I guess its just a bad video card. I will look into it. That whole start up and stop thing confused me at first.
 
Back
Top