• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Power Suply mod?

thejawn

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
77
Ok so I found a PC on the streets and it had a dead PSU. I really want to set this PC up as a backup server so I'm trying to get it to work. The PSU it had has a 2x2 plug (apparently 12v) that is used to power the mother board. It's the one in the bottom right in the picture below.
320wsfx3.jpg


However, the power supply that I want to replace it with does not have this plug. Is there a way that I can rewire this plug onto the new power suply, by possibly cutting it off the old and soldering it to the new PSU with the corresponding wires (2 black 2 yellow)

Thanks
-jon
 
I've done it a few times. Some PSU circuit boards already have extra holes to accommodate the new wires, but with others I had to drill holes, sometimes right next to the capacitors. On one circuit board there was no place to drill holes for the yellow +12V wires, so I just soldered them to the bottom. If you have to do that, be sure the wires don't stick out so much that they short against the case or their insulation gets poked through by other soldered leads.
 
Back
Top