Power Splitter

mut

n00b
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
23
Hey guys i have an Asus P4PE Intel 845PE Chipset Mobo. I was going to add an extra harddrive to my comp but it seems i ran out of space. I have already in there a cd burner, dvd rom, floppy and harddrive. I need a 4 pin power connector.As for that i could always get a molex splitter? 4 pin 4 pin extension cable? Dunno any ideas? I have a 400w Power supply just no more connectors.
 
Would it make a difference? Like performance wise, cause if not screw that.
 
Not performance exactly. What a new, good or high end power supply would do would increase power stability. This, although not performance as increasing your speed, will help your system be more stable, and in turn a better machine to handle multiple drives and overclock.

My initial thinking is that your current power supply is not a name brand since you do not have a enough connectors, but I may be wrong. I do think that it might be worthwhile to upgrade if you dont have a good name-brand power source, since that may cause stability problems, thus hurting performance. If your PSU is name brand (i.e. Antec, Enermax, PCP&C,etc), then by all means add the molex splitter. But, if its not, that molex splitter can lead to power problems, which can lead to your computer crashing and other problems (even destroy your machine).

Hope this helps,

Zero
 
power splitters can be ok. But make absolutely sure of a few things. Make sure your splitter won't be overloading one line from the psu. If that line has like 2 hard drives, or cd drives, don't add a splitter to that line. Make sure its not a cheapo splitter (good grade of wire, good connects) make sure that there is proper contact between the molex connectors (seen poor connects cause shorts and worse - burn, baby, burn -)
Good luck.
 
Back
Top