• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Power PC and Cooling....Antec?

MapleSyrupMods

Bring on Titan X Volta
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Messages
1,224
So upon reading a somewhat older mag of Maximum PC, I have decided to get a new powersupply. I read nothing but good things about the PPC, but the Antec Neopower modular one got a 10 out of 10 and ppc only 9. In terms of quality is ppc ahead of the game?Or should I consider the Antec?And if both of those are not good, whats another one, I want one thats going to be futureproof for the next set of processors. Particularly socket M2.
 
I don't remember Maximum PC reviewing any Power PC based computers recently, but I do know those Motorola processors got pretty darn hot, so proper cooling would certainly be a concern.
 
Seriously, though.

The PC POWER AND COOLING (you mixed up the words "PC" and "Power") is far better than an Antec. But the Antec has the modular cables, so it scored a bonus point for that.

It's an apple and oranges thing.

If you know you want a modular power supply, then the Antec Neopower is an excellent unit.

But if you have the money for a Turbo Cool 510 and modular just isn't important to you, then you'd be silly to buy the Antec.
 
jonny! You didn't recommend an Ultra! :p

The PC P&C 510's are the BEST PC PSU's made, the Antec NeoPower is also a very good PSU. ;)
 
davidhammock200 said:
jonny! You didn't recommend an Ultra! :p

Hey.. You'll note that I NEVER bring the issue up. ;) That'd be like walking meeting of Nazis and admitting that you're Jewish! :eek:
 
jonnyGURU said:
Seriously, though.

The PC POWER AND COOLING (you mixed up the words "PC" and "Power") is far better than an Antec. But the Antec has the modular cables, so it scored a bonus point for that.

It's an apple and oranges thing.

If you know you want a modular power supply, then the Antec Neopower is an excellent unit.

But if you have the money for a Turbo Cool 510 and modular just isn't important to you, then you'd be silly to buy the Antec.
also noise was the winning factor too.......they said the 510 was so noisy :p

soulsaver
 
jonnyGURU said:
Hey.. You'll note that I NEVER bring the issue up. ;) That'd be like walking meeting of Nazis and admitting that you're Jewish! :eek:

And I don't always recommend SuperFlower's.....it's cause we see balance ;)
 
PCP&C is the better PSU, but the NeoPower is good too - it's quieter, cheaper, and plenty of power for your setup

I don't know what socket M2 will require, maybe a 8pin 12v aux?
 
I prefer Seasonic due to higher efficiencies, and thus, quieter operation.
 
I have the 510 SLI, I've never used a better powersupply in a consumer-grade machine. The thing just exudes attention to detail in pretty much every aspect of its build.

Buy a PC P&C if you never want to wonder, "Hmmm, maybe my power supply is the problem."

6 raptors, 2 7800GTX oc, 2 plextor drives, 2 gig of ram, audigy 2, floppy drive, msi mobo, the powersupply doesn't even seem to break a sweat.
 
eastvillager said:
I have the 510 SLI, I've never used a better powersupply in a consumer-grade machine. The thing just exudes attention to detail in pretty much every aspect of its build.

Buy a PC P&C if you never want to wonder, "Hmmm, maybe my power supply is the problem."

6 raptors, 2 7800GTX oc, 2 plextor drives, 2 gig of ram, audigy 2, floppy drive, msi mobo, the powersupply doesn't even seem to break a sweat.
The PC P&C 510's are the BEST PC PSU's ever made! ;)
 
now would the PC Power and Cooling power supply be futureproof for when the new amd sockets come out next year?
 
people keep saying PC P&C are the best things since sliced bread. but they're Very inefficient compared to modern designs like Seasonic S12 series. so for people that are going for a "silent" system...
 
The 510 absolutely rocks. And if you think it will be too loud you can have them switch the fan. This thing has gotta weigh at least 10 pounds, it is a beast!
 
perplex said:
people keep saying PC P&C are the best things since sliced bread. but they're Very inefficient compared to modern designs like Seasonic S12 series. so for people that are going for a "silent" system...
A pillow is required to be quiet.

A PSU is required to put out lots of good, clean, stable power &
this the PC P&C 510 does better than any other PC PSU. ;)
 
ATI9700Pro said:
So upon reading a somewhat older mag of Maximum PC, I have decided to get a new powersupply. I read nothing but good things about the PPC, but the Antec Neopower modular one got a 10 out of 10 and ppc only 9. In terms of quality is ppc ahead of the game?Or should I consider the Antec?And if both of those are not good, whats another one, I want one thats going to be futureproof for the next set of processors. Particularly socket M2.

the review was flawed but indicative
they placed one hell of alot of wieght on "features"
and modular cables, and sound level was what got the Antec the nod

however only two supplies managed to not shutdown under a simulated brownout of 60VAC
the Ultra (which probably should have but didn't the rail fluctuation durning the test being excessive) and The PCP&C 510 which didnt even blink an eye maintaining a stable +12.08V

as everyone has already mentioned, your comparing apples to oranges in the power quality category, what remains to be seen is if power quality is the primary criteria or if features, sound, budget ect will weight in
 
jonnyGURU said:
Seriously, though.

The PC POWER AND COOLING (you mixed up the words "PC" and "Power") is far better than an Antec. But the Antec has the modular cables, so it scored a bonus point for that.
i saw the review and PC power and cooling stated that they won't do the modular cables because of how it adds resistance. to me i could care less about modular as i use every connector except one and thats the cable that goes to the videocard. but i aggree after studying electronics for the airforce and we use dells (kills me) @ my unit and none of then have modular psu inside them.
 
Good, I just dont wanna buy it and it cant handle like the new proccessors and sli and stuff.
 
Back
Top