Power Outlet Grounding

antoniohawk

Limp Gawd
I have an external hdd enclosure that has its own psu. The psu gets its power from the wall, of course and specificially through a 3 pronged outlet that you find on all kinds of stuff from printers to my computer. I'm working on a custom enclosure and was wondering if I have to ground the outlet on the psu, as it came, or if I can ground it elsewhere on the case that I'm building, which is made of aluminum.

Won't your case contact your PSU? Admittedly aluminum isn't the best conductor, but it'll do.

The reason that I don't want to connect it to the psu is that the wire isn't long enough. Here are some pictures to better explain it.
DSC00001-small.jpg

DSC00002-small.jpg

That's the enclosure, which infact is enclosed within another outer shell. The psu is attached to the inner side wall of the hdd rack shown.

You can attach that ground wire to any part of the case (asuming the case is metal).
If the new case is anodized be sure to remove the anodizing from the area where you attach the ground wire

Yeah, in a computer, every ground is essentially the same. Black wire from PSU, green/yellow striped wire inside PSU, case frame, etc. They're all basically the same.

As it turns out I really don't need to reposition it, because it was another wire that was too short. :D

LOL dude I'm really diggin the bedspread go Yanks. God knows they spent a gazillion dollars on a pitching crew but no money for the rest of the team.

Back