Power outage killed my SSD

Kato1144

Limp Gawd
I just had a power outage at my home and i was playing a game that was on my 240GB Radeon SSD after booting the OS was very slow to boot so i launched crystal disk info to check on the drives and the 240GB SSD showed up but only in name all the info screens were grey and the SMART readout were all gone except for one that had no data. I wish i took a screen shot because i did power down and unplugged the drive to see if it was the problem (The OS was struggling and I could not see my 500GB NVME in crystal disk info ) so after confirming everything else was fine i pluged the 240 GB SSD back in and check it in the BIOS to see if it shows up and after a long delay i get in the BIOS and see the drive there so i boot in to windows hoping to use system tools to wipe the drive but no luck. I did read on line that 3M tells ppl who have this happen to there SSD to leave the drive plug in the SATA cable unplugged so for now thats what im going to do.

If any one has any advice for me with this drive i would appreciate it, for now i will hope that the power will allow it to self correct and its not a paper weight, I'm kinda stumped for ideas the only post i could find with some one haveing a AMD drive die after a power outage was that they had to send it back so i hope mine is not a brick i have it screwed to the bottom of the HDD cage it will not be fun to remove and i doubt i have warranty...

That stinks; most people don't want to spend the money, but a quality UPS can avoid problems like this in the future (not just data loss, but in your case possibly prevent hardware from going bad). Worth the relatively small investment for peace of mind.

Leaving the drive powered on is a good idea. Maybe it can recover.

Of consumer SSDs, I think only Micron/Crucial advertises protection from power loss. The others are silent, and probably have some vulnerability if you're unlucky. The problem is that you don't only lose in-progress writes (only deluxe "enterprise" drives protect you from that), you also lose unrelated data.

Since most SSDs go into laptops, the manufacturers probably figure it's unnecessary to worry about power loss.

Pluged the data cable in today and sadly it is still bricked, now I have to pull it out and try it in a laptop just incase but that will happen when it happens but it looks like this is a lost cause hopefully i still have warranty.

will update when i get it out

Back