Power drop in a closet?

Jagger100

Supreme [H]ardness
This is an odd question but I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to do this. I have a bedroom I'd like to turn into an office, but I'd like to move all the printers, routers, etc. to a closet. The problem is that I noticed none of the closets have an outlet.

Anyone know if this is code or just the builder saving a buck? I could see where having an electrical device in a normal closet filled with clothes and it usually out of sight could be an increased fire risk. Not that I agree with that especially how I plan to use it. But I can see the possible logic to it being a building code violation.

I’ve completed the same thing you want to do. (Along with having all of my network drops located within the same closet.) You need to make sure that you do not need a dedicated circuit due to the power draw of the office equipment. Second, taping off from a nearby outlet can be really dangerous if the circuit is not rated for the draw. (Well you’ll need a junction box anyway, so tapping off an outlet is bad altogether) I do not think there is anything against code having electrical outlets within your closet.

I've had the same done to a closet in my place. Very convenient for the equipment in there.

My suggestion is to call an experienced electrician, and have him/her evaluate and handle the upgrade. Ask about permits, too. And if you live in a shared environment, such as a condominium complex, then first drop a line to your association to make sure that this is acceptable. (As long as it isn't a shared wall, I don't think it would be a problem. But always make sure you get any approvals and, if needed, permits.)

IIRC it is against code to install a plug in inside a closet, though this is the canadian code. Ill have a look tomorrow when im in the truck. Im a red seal, journeyman, electrician.

It might depend on the closet, but I have a small walk-in closet with power outlets, ethernet, and cable. I put my modem, router, WHS, and printer in there.

Also the telephone and cable junction box/switchboard is also in the master bedroom's closet so I don't think its against code.

Back