Power-cycling a router

c0ex

Gawd
A buddy of mine had a questions about his router and was wondoring if a router or switch would solve the problem.

I've got dsl on an actiontec wireless gateway.
Computer a connects to the gateway via ethernet cable
computer b connects via wireless
I want computer c to connect via ethernet, but when I use a hub between the gateway and a & c it only works for a few hours before I have to cycle power on the gateway.
I'm wondering if a router between the gateway and a & c will do the trick.

That sounds more like a router performance/stability issue. Is there updated firmware for the router? Are you using p2p applications on computer c which have a lot of simultaneous connections going through he router?

Hey, I've got this problem too.
QWEST tech support said this would happen with a hub and sure enough it was a problem until I got the hub out of there and went back to just a single pc on the ethernet side. Tech support said "If you want more pc's put them on wireless" I am wondering If I used a router eg "Linksys "Network Everywhere" 4 port router" instead of the hub, could I then have two pc's on ethernet off the router and not see the problem? I think (and I'm not knowing $H!7 about this stuff) that the actiontec gateway would only see one IP address on the ethernet (the router) instead of two that it saw through the hub.
Somebody tell me if this will work better with a router?
Thanks - Joel

I'm not familiar with this Actiontec Gateway, but from what I just read on a quick google search it is essentially a basic router with a DSL modem built in. You are correct that it would only see one address if you introduced another router between it and your hosts. However, based on your admitted lack of experience with networking I hesitate to recommend adding another router as this will require either a static routing table or routing protocols in addition to the possibility that both your new router and the gateway will be setup with the same private IP ranges, rendering them useless to you.

One possible solution for you is to use a switch in place of the hub. Hubs repeat all traffic out every port, causing collisions and significantly increasing the amount of traffic on your small network. A switch will send traffic only where it's supposed to go which might resolve the issue with the gateway. There is no additional work needed with the installation of the switch.

Theres my .02.

Thanks shadow,
I'm still mulling this over, I may try the router or I may just grab another wireless card. I'd probably learn a few thing if I tried the router, although it sounds like two routers serially is not ideal.

jvnn said:
Thanks shadow,
I'm still mulling this over, I may try the router or I may just grab another wireless card. I'd probably learn a few thing if I tried the router, although it sounds like two routers serially is not ideal.
The actiontec modems are generally pretty crap. I'm currently using two router (Actiontec going to Linksys WRT54G) and it's working ok. I had a Netgear 614 in place of the linksys for a while before.

There's a way to set up the actiontec in 'bridging' mode which works for some people. It makes your router do the dsl authentication, so you only are using a single router. There's more instructions over at the dslreports.com forums - they might be able to help with your hub question as well - the qwest tecch response sounds like BS.

Ian, that sounds good, but doesn't that leave the pc that's on wireless out?

Yes it would. Essentially, the idea is to drop the wireless and routing features of the Actiontec modem and use it only as a DSL modem, then hook up a second router behind it to terminate PPPoE and provide wireless and wired access.

Back