Power cord for 3com switch?

3l3m3nt

Limp Gawd
This doesn't make sense, but all of a sudden the power cord to one of my 3com routers stopped working. I just got a new 3com switch because I thought it just crapped out but I used the new 3com switches Power plug for the old one and it worked... so now i'm trying to figure out where you can get some power adapters for 3com switches. And is there any difference between power adapters between this 3com switch http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817111212 and a 3com router?

The power cord that you're refering to is more commonly known as a 'power brick' or transformer. All they do is convert 120v AC into a DC voltage and amperage.

If you're looking for a replacement, figure out the size of the plug (you can compare the plug to others at a Radio Shack) and then find a power brick that provides the same DC voltage and amperage as the brick that died on you. You might even be able to find out which power bricks are compatible with your specific router online, to make ordering easier.

These bricks should cost around $5-$15 or so...most laptop power-bricks (which probably put out more power than your router needs) are around $30 or so, for comparison. It is a relatively cheap component.

If you can post the voltage / amperage requirements, and model of router...we might be able to find something for you. And it might help out someone else looking for a replacement transformer for their router. Cheers.

Well it would be the same "Brick" that powers the switch i bought from newegg in the link above. I need another one of those because that one powers up my router also when i unplug it from the switch and plug it into my router. So right now i'm down to 1 power brick and a 3com switch and router. And now i gotta go grab my other 3com switch out of the garbage because I thought it was trashed and it is probably just a bad plug. But i'll have to head over to radio shack to see if I can get the same plug that'll work for them.

Back