Power consumption!!!

Joined
Sep 4, 2008
Messages
10
Hello everybody!

I have an issue to discuss with you. It is regarding power consumption of my network and server. Right now it is going up to 300-340W. I measured it with a power meter.

So everything of my metwork must stay up, this means the cisco stuff, 2 AP's and 1 laptop which is used for monitoring with linux on it. This "eats" around 180-200W and the rest is 1 server with VMware ESXi a Dual CPU Pentium 3 with 1GB ram, 3 network cards and 4 hard drives which "eats" 120W and sometimes 140W - 150W.

I want to shut down this server and change it with something else like a Mini-ITX Intel Atom with 2x SATA drives and 2 GB RAM.

1) Does anybody knows how much power will this "eat"???

-MB + CPU intel atom 1.6ghz mini-itx
-PSU
-2x SATA drives
-2GB ram
-1x pci quad ethernet


2) How much power consumes your network stuff??

3)Does anybody know about Dell poweredge 2 xeon 3.0ghz with 4gb ram and 2 drives how much power it consumes?

PS: sorry for my bad english!
 
1) About 75 watts roughly
2) About 25w, I learned my lesson years ago that having all the cisco, 3com, and enterprise crap is not really worth running in a home due to the increase in costs and that the same level of performance (for a home enviroment) can be achieved by using high end but smaller gear. My first big home network used over 1,000 watts of power, which put my bills through the roof :p
3) That system should use no more than 250w of power, I'd say it would be closer to about 200w.
 
hello!

Thanks for reply. Now after some "improvements" I have around 140W power consumption :D

I will probably take the Intel atom with only one drive. I am trying to find a way to install a laptop drive in the 3.5" bay. It will cut the power consumption also. :confused:
 
Back
Top