Power connections

jfharper

Limp Gawd
(Sorry this is a duplicate post...I posted in the MB forum with no answers...but I need to get this going before Monday)
My Mb is an asrock z77 extreme4. This board has a 24 pin power plug that I've read I use the power supply's 20+4 pin with. The board also has an 8pin ATX 12V power connector. The manual says use a 8 pin atx 12v, or a 4-pin atx 12v will work if I put the connector towards the pin 1 and pin 5 side of the 8 pin plug. My power supply is the one below and has a 4+4 atx and also an 8 pin eps...do I not use the 8 pin eps, and only use the 4+4? I haven't received the power supply yet...is the 4+4 two separate 4 pin plugs...or is it a combined 8 pin plug, where half is atx and the other half is eps? If 8, is it safe to use in the 8pin atx plug on the motherboard?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?EdpNo=125449

1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 4+4 Pin ATX12V / EPS12V
1 x EPS 12V 8-pin ATX12V / EPS12V

4+4 is split into 2 separate connectors for some mobos that only use 4 pins. The extra 4 pins allow for the CPU to draw more power, but why not just use the 8 pin since you have it? Plugging in the 8 pin is exactly the same as using the 4+4 only easier to connect.

Broken Link.. can you post the model of the PSU?.. connect the EPS 8Pin if available its the same as any other 4+4 EPS/ATX... the extra 4+4EPS/ATX connectors are for motherboard that require extra power connectors for example the Asus Rampage IV, which use 8pin EPS + 4pin ATX..

XFX P1550SXXB9 Core Edition Power Supply - 550W, 80 Plus Bronze, 135mm Fan, Active PFC, Single +12V Rail
Item#: P450-9216 | Model#: P1550SXXB9

Thanks...the manual said plug in an atx into the 8 pin...but I wasn't sure if the 8 pin from the ps was only eps or was ok to use for the atx plug...or if it mattered...I really didn't know what eps or atx meant.

Last edited:
4Pin ATX are the extra conector of the 20+4 motherboard connector... EPS are the auxiliary CPU power delivery which can be find in 4 pin or 8 pin... thats why the 4pin ATX Shouldn't be connected in the Auxiliary CPU power socket.. thats why actually the extra 4Pin ATX its together with the 20Pin so people can't confuse at the moment of build a machine.. your PSU have a dedicated 8PIN and another extra 4+4 Pin which its used in high-end boards or server boards.. so connect the 8pin EPS..

Back