• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Power buttons on a budget

drewb99

Gawd
Joined
Feb 28, 2004
Messages
742
I've got an old Gateway P3 500 that's been missing its front pannel for about 2 years now because of a busted power button:
button_before.jpg


One of the ends came off from the little button mechanism, making it fall out of its mount. To this day I still don't know how the whole front fell off though :confused: Just a few days ago, I realized that all Superglue is is strong, liquid plastic, right? Conveniently, the button's ALSO made of plastic! So I got some Loctite stuff I had lying around and some tape, and using my mad fabricating sk1llz I made a little tube with the tape the width of the part that broke off and filled it with the glue. Let it dry, trimmed it, did some sanding, then used some plastic cement and more krazy glue to glue it onto the busted end. Let the cement dry for a few hours, popped it in the old front pannel and it worked good as new! Screw ordering a new one that'll cost me MONEY (about $.50) when you can do it yourself :D (and it doesn't look like something out of a 70s post-apocolyptic movie anymore either)

button_during.jpg


The clear end is the dryed-out superglue.

button_after1.jpg


button_after2.jpg


Much better :D
 
If it works, it works!

BTW- Super glue isn't really just liquid plastic. That's epoxy's job. It's actually CyanoAcrylate, powerful bonder as you know.

Anyways, I toast to your invention.
 
omg my case! dang never thought id see someone post the same case i have right now. I'm thinking of modding it a little as a temporary thing because I still can't decide what case to buy.
 
I have that same case, but mine is a Gateway G6-400 PII 400Mhz, i've probably reformatted that computer over 20 times since i got it in 98'.

The other day i cut a 80mm fan bay under the front pannel on the bottom. Fairly easy. I plan on adding a window too, i just need to find a store that sells plexi. prolly home depot or rag shop i guess.

and yes, thoes power buttons are shitty, i hate mine too.
 
Back
Top