• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Power adapter question.

yadnom

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 27, 2006
Messages
352
I'm not sure where to post this so I thought I'd throw it in general.

I have an external UBS storage device that requires a power source. The original adapter that is dead is rated at:
Input: 100-240v ~ 50/60Hz 0.6A
Output: 12v - 2.0A

I have an adapter from another USB storage device. Input is the same except output is listed as: 12v - 1.5A. It powers the storage device fine and seems to run without any issues, but am I okay to use this if output amperage is lower than the original? Can I damage the drive?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.
 
if the device is drawing more then 1.5A, then your replacement power brick will not be able to handle it and the device would not work. it shouldnt damage anything, but it may not work.

usually, hard drives draw the most power durring spinup (right at the begining), and once the disk is spinning only draw maybe 40% of the peak power.

plug it in and try it. as long as output voltages are the same on both power adapters, you wont fry anything.
 
Back
Top